din-1505-2-numeric-alphabetical.csl incomplete?

I tried din-1505-2-numeric-alphabetical.csl, and I wonder:
If I make a citation including additional info (like page number), the additional info shown neither in the citation nor in the bibliography.
Is that intentional?
The variant din-1505-2-alphanumeric.csl does not have this problem.
  • Well, it's kind of intentional:

Zotero can't include locators* in the bibliography (and while I know that's sometimes done, especially for book chapters I don't see how that would work systematically if the same item is cited multiple times).

It's possible to include locators with numeric citations in text, but in practice that's rare and probably undesirable in almost all cases — IEEE is the only exception I'm aware of. But if you have documentation that locators should be included for in text citations in DIN 1505-2 we can look at adding them (FWIW, DIN 1505 is also, apparently on its way out and being replaced by the DIN interpretation of the ISO 690-2 norm)

*"locator" describes the page number or other pinpoint added in the word processor plugin, which is distinct from the page range of the item itself.
  • whoaw, indeed:
    DIN ISO 690:2013-10 is the successor and replaces DIN 1505-2:1984-01, as stated by the beuth verlag http://www.beuth.de/de/norm/din-iso-690/190805484

we could mention this in the description of the Din 1505 styles - and they should continue to exist at zotero, I would say, because people would find them better like this.

greetings
  • I agree with mmoole, and I'd like to comment on adamsmith: I've seen bibliographies where the same source was listed several times. Thus one could include sub-references (like pages, chapters, figures, etc.) with each bibliography entry (answering the first paragraph). Why can't Zotero?

I would still prefer what paragraph two suggested over ignoring locators.

Standards are good recommendations, but that doesn't mean one can't do better ;-)
  • Thus one could include sub-references (like pages, chapters, figures, etc.) with each bibliography entry (answering the first paragraph). Why can't Zotero?
    mostly because that's not how most numerical styles work, so we'd have to establish an entirely separate family of styles for that. In regular numerical styles, the same source is always referred to with the same item. If that doesn't work for your purposes, I'd suggest looking at a different citation format altogether. Most disciplines where locator information such as paragraphs are important use footnotes/endnotes or in-text author-date citations.
    Standards are good recommendations, but that doesn't mean one can't do better ;-)
    sorry, that's not how we handle standards in CSL. Either the norm has a format for locators in text or it doesn't. We're not going to create our own version of it, so no, we're not going to try to do "better" than a standard. Obviously you're free to modify any style you want for your own purposes. They're all CC-BY-SA licensed.