Report ID: 1710535935

(1) I am repeatedly getting the following error:
"An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero."
It happens when I try to use the search dialog.
"Report errors" gives this:
[JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]

(2) If I restart Zotero and, before trying to search for anything, hit the sync button, I get the following error:
Transaction in progress in Zotero.Sync.Server._checkSyncUser
[JavaScript Error: "Error: Transaction in progress in Zotero.Sync.Server._checkSyncUser" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
(See e.g. Report ID 1865620022)

(3) If I restart Zotero and manually navigate to an entry that has a note attached (all my notes, currently, have been generated by Zotfile's extract pdf annotations), I also get "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero."
[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: file is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/zotfile.js" line: 269}]
[JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]
(See e.g. Report ID 619018939)

I am using Zotero Standalone 4.0.17, on Mac OS X 10.9.2.
  • Two thoughts, in this order:

1. Check your database integrity from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences under Files and Folders. If it's corrupted, use the db repair tool to fix it.

Only if that doesn't work:

2. Did you install the beta version of Zotfile at some point? There was a problem with an earlier iteration of that, which I _think_ might be related (though the expected error would be different), see Joscha's post from February 23rd here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5301/19/zotfile-zotero-plugin-to-rename-move-and-attach-pdfs-send-them-to-ipad-extract-pdf-annotations/
  • Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I think the solution must lie elsewhere:

1. My database passes the integrity test.
    2. I did install the beta of Zotfile, but only the version (3.2b5) Joscha subsequently linked to ("7 days ago") that was supposed to have solved the relevant problem. In any case, I updated to the beta over 3.1 only in an effort to overcome my present difficulties.
  • OK, Dan will have to look at this then.
    It would probably help if you would provide the following:
    1. A debug ID for an operation that triggers this error http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output provided that is possible (since if I understand correctly Zotero crashes) and
    2. the upload ID of your database to the DB repair tool
  • Heads up: I'm getting emails based on this thread and another one (Report ID 1889503266) that I haven't bookmarked. Please unsubscribe me if that's an appropriate action. Thank you.
  • Here's a Debug ID: D1441819869.
    (This is for an error of the first kind mentioned in the original post. The error calls for Zotero to be restarted, but it doesn't make it freeze or shut down.)

Here's the Upload ID of my database to the repair tool: 53156929199d8.
  • (@poreilly - you can unsubscribe from this category - you probably clicked subscribe by accident - at the left under notifications)
  • (3)(+0000000): [indexing] indexFile failed:
    an error occurred: TypeError: words is undefined
    (chrome://zotero-auto-index/content/zotero-auto-index.js, 8)
    Disable all your other Zotero-related extensions (probably starting with zotero-auto-index).
  • (if you want the fast indexing provided by auto-index, you can either wait for Zotero 4.0.18 or install the beta: http://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#zotero_40_beta though probably best to wait until this is sorted out).
  • Thank you both for your help — disabling zotero-auto-index has proved to be sufficient.