error installing microsoft word plugin

the report ID for this is 827411323

When I tried to install the plugin for Microsoft Word (2013 SP1) for Windows 8.1, using Zotero standalone, nothing happened.
  • you tried from the cite tab of the Zotero preferences? And tried again after restarting the computer to be sure?
  • Restarting seems to have fixed it. Thanks!
  • Hello everybody, my name is Camilo and I'm from Brazil. I am experiencing problems with Zotero 8.1 for Windows and Word 2013. Guide does not appear to citation with Zotero. Could anyone help me?
  • feel free to write in Portuguese if that's easier for you (though we'll keep replying in English). What exactly isn't working? You don't see the Zotero add-on in Word? Have you checked in the add-ins tab? Have you made sure it's installed in Zotero? Re-installed from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences?
  • Olá Adam. Exatamente. Não vejo o Zotero instalado no word. Nem aparece a opção para salvar a citação quando navego na web.
  • Do you have Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone installed? If the latter, which browser would you like to use?
  • Eu utilizo o o Standalone para o Chrome.
  • OK, so let's fix the import part first: Have you installed the Chrome Extension for Zotero? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zotero-connector/ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc?hl=en

If so, do you see a URL bar icon on the right of the URL bar, e.g. on this page:
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650&referer=brief_results
  • Sim. A extensão do Chrome está instalada. E também consigo visualizar o ícone na barra de navegação, como exemplificado na página (ex.: "Save to Zotero").
  • great, so that part is working. For pages without that icon, use right-click --> Save as Zotero Snapshots.
    PDFs are a bit clumsier on Chrome, you need to just drag the entire URL to Zotero (or save the PDF and drag it to Zotero). But all of that seems to work as intended.

Moving on to the Word add-on. First, close Word, go to the "Cite" tab of the Zotero preferences and click on "Re-install Word add-on" (the terms will be in Portuguese, but should be easy to recognize).

Then go to Word and see if you can find the "Add-ins" tab. The Zotero plugin icons should be there.
  • Algumas páginas com arquivo em PDF realmente não aparecem o ícone na barra. Também não há a opção "Salvar como Zotero Snapshots". A única opção que funcionou foi arrastar a URL para o Zotero, no entanto as informações do artigo não foram salvas de forma organizada (como no funcionamento normal). Passando para o "passo 2" fiz a reinstalação seguindo Ferramentas>Preferencias>Citar>Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in, mas nesse caso não apareceu a instalação do ícone.
  • edited April 28, 2014
    A única opção que funcionou foi arrastar a URL para o Zotero, no entanto as informações do artigo não foram salvas de forma organizada (como no funcionamento normal)
    yes, that's normal. Ideally, you'd import the item from the page that links to the PDF, which will often include the PDF. If you just import the PDF, run retrieve pdf metadata: https://www.zotero.org/support/retrieve_pdf_metadata
  • For the Word add-on, you will need to follow the instructions here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_for_windows_or_is_incompatible
    to manually locate the Word Startup folder and place Zotero.dot into it.
    The instructions for manual install are quite detailed, you'll need to read&follow them closely, but this will almost definitely work when done properly.
  • A instalação manual está configurada para o Firefox, devo seguir as mesmas indicações, para o Chrome?
  • no, Chrome has nothing to do with the Word add-on.
    Just replace "Firefox" with "Zotero" in those instructions. You can skip step 1. I've clarified this a bit on that page.
  • UFA!!!! Agradeço demais Adam. A guia "Suplementos" apareceu no Word, após seguir os passos do último link. O problema que persiste é quanto ao salvamento das referências na barra de navegação (inexistência do ícone).
  • excellent. glad we got that worked out.
    The URL bar icon will only appear on supported pages as I say above. As I say, for non-supported webpages use right-click --> Save as Zotero Snapshot, for PDF, drag the URL to Zotero and then use right-click --> retrieve metadata for PDF.