Zotero Extension Freezes OpenOffice

Hi,

I am using OpenOffice.org 2.4 on Kubuntu 8.04. Zotero is installed on Firefox 3.0, and the extension in said openOffice.

Clicking any button on the ooffice extension causes OpenOffice to freeze. I need to kill & restart the application.

Running ooffice from shell, I get the following output when clicking any Zotero extension key:

pythonloader.Loader.activate
pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/I2k8iT_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/idoerg/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/I2k8iT_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
checking for existence of /home/idoerg/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/I2k8iT_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/pythonpath.zip

When checking the Zotero.oxt subdirectory I could not find pythonpath.zip

Help?
  • edited August 4, 2008
    EDIT: I solved this by restarting both OpenOffice.org and firefox. Sorry for disturbing!

THE OLD TEXT:
    Annoying! I get the same thing even if I am absolutely sure this worked flawlessly before the holiday. Must have been through some upgrade thing. Only difference is that I am on Ubuntu...

Any takers?
    Ketil
  • edited August 8, 2008
    I'm having the exact same problem with ubuntu 8.04. Anybody know how to solve this?
  • Here's one possibility:

Close all running instances of OOo, including the quickstarter (system tray), first. For safety, it would be a good idea to make a backup of your OOo user profile before proceeding, by copying the hidden .openoffice.org2 folder in your home folder to another location while OOo is completely closed.

Then try running the following command in a terminal:
    /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg reinstallThat will reinstall all of the extensions currently installed, and it may fix things for you.

When running the command, you may see a namespace error about the minimal version of OOo not being defined. That should not prevent the extension from working, though, or at least it does not for me.

Unopkg has a manual page with some more information which can by viewed in a terminal by running: man unopkg
  • I'm afraid that didn't work. Here's the output.

javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
    pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader.Loader.writeRegistryInfo
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/4Xi6Eq_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/adam/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/4Xi6Eq_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    checking for existence of /home/adam/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/4Xi6Eq_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/pythonpath.zip
    pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader.Loader.writeRegistryInfo
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/4Xi6Eq_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/adam/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/4Xi6Eq_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
  • edited August 8, 2008
    You can fix the java error in Tools -> Options -> Java, by selecting a virtual machine for OOo to use. This was unset by a recent Java update in Ubuntu.

Otherwise, your output looks just like mine if I reinstall, although I also see the namespace error I mentioned earlier. The extension works just as expected for me - I can see all my Zotero data and add references and bibliographies, etc.

You could try resetting you OOo user profile, by closing OOo completely, moving or renaming ~/.openoffice.org2, and then restarting to generate a new "clean" profile. Then install the Zotero extension into this new profile.

Hopefully it will work with a clean OOo profile.

Incidentally, if I run oowriter from a terminal and call the Zotero extension, I see the same output as in the original post in this thread. But the extension works just fine.

Is there any chance that the windows for the extension are hiding underneath a large or maximized Writer window?
  • Still no luck with a clean profile. Don't see the windows hiding any where, just the main window going grey and inactive. The output changes a little:

pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/Ebjuio_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/adam/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/Ebjuio_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    checking for existence of /home/adam/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/Ebjuio_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/pythonpath.zip
  • Your output in the last post matches mine with a working extension.

You could try setting Zotero to show debug output in Firefox, maybe there will be some clues there.

Or maybe one of the Zotero developers will have another approach to suggest. At this point, all I can tell you is that there doesn't seem to be anything unusual in the output you've posted so far.
  • edited October 2, 2008
    I'm stuck with the same problem and reinstalling unopkg didn't help either:
    anark@cressid:~$ ooffice
    anark@cressid:~$ pythonloader.Loader ctor
    pythonloader: interpreting url vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/xEepRw_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    pythonloader: after expansion file:///home/anark/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/xEepRw_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/ZoteroRPC.py
    checking for existence of /home/anark/.openoffice.org2/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/xEepRw_/Zotero.oxt/Scripts/pythonpath.zip
    Neither could I find the pythonpath.zip archive in the directory where pythonloader is looking for it.

But given that the documentation says "If the PYTHONPATH environment variable is set by another application, you may need to remove it" -- the PYTHONPATH environment variable appears to be a known point of failure. How do I find out if/where another application has set the PYTHONPATH environment variable?
  • Could somebody kindly look through my debug output for any clues?
  • I'm getting a bit disspirited at my inability to resolve this issue. I have learned that the developer of this plugin "is no longer able to support the code", but that Zotero 1.5 will come with a newly written integration plugin (see also this mention). Should I wait for 1.5?
  • I don't speak for Zotero, but my hunch is yes, wait. Dan Stillman mentioned they'd be releasing the new plug-in soon (IIRC, in days, not weeks or months).
  • I've just hit on a solution: I reset the localstore.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder. After a restart the OOo plugin worked again. (FF 3.0.3, OOo 2.4, Ubuntu 8.4)