Indexing

Hello,

I'm new to zotero. I've been building my library and now I would like to search the index created for my research. I'm concerned that the default maximum characters- and the default maximum pages-indexed isn't actually grabbing every single word. Is this the case?

I've tried putting in bigger numbers, but I'm not sure this has any effect other than freezing the program.

Thank you for helping me understand how this works.
  • With the default settings as they are, Zotero indexes what it says it does, so if you have attachments with more than 100 pages and/or more than 500000 characters than it will indeed not index every word.

The current beta (and so the upcoming 4.0.18 release) has much faster indexing, so if you do experience freezes and want to increase those numbers, either wait for 4.0.18 or install the beta:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#zotero_40_beta
  • Thank you for your response.

By specifying "attachments", did you mean to distinguish attachments to original zotero files from the original files? Or, I presume, is the answer the same regardless of the distinction I've just made?

When I have installed the beta/upcoming release, what maximum number(s) would you suggest?

And, what about not having a maximum at all?

Thank you again.
  • By specifying "attachments", did you mean to distinguish attachments to original zotero files from the original files?
    no, doesn't matter whether the file is linked or stored. Indexing works the same.
    When I have installed the beta/upcoming release, what maximum number(s) would you suggest?

And, what about not having a maximum at all?
    I don't know. Try it out. I think you may need a maximum. Set it to 1000 and 5,000,000 if need be.
  • I agree with adamsmith.