Retrieve Metadata for PDF

I followed the instructions provided and made sure the correct PDF utility was installed in Zotero data directory (I used the automatic update of this through Preferences). My PDF are indexed but when I go to retrieve metadata it get hung up. When I look at the cached PDF file in Zotero data directory it seems to get hung up after 1-2 PDF pages. Any input would be helpful.
  • Sorry - here is the Report ID: 126923246
  • I had exactly the same problem. The article is indexed but a window apear showing:
    "Error de parseo XML: entidad indefinida
    Lugar: chrome://zotero/content/pdfProgress.xul
    LĂ­nea 9, Columna 3: <label id="label" control="progress-indicator" value="&zotero.recognizePDF.recognizing.label;"/>
    ----------------^"
  • mfm154: Thanks for the bug report. This should now be fixed in the latest trunk build.

drskouk: PDF recognizing won't work in SP2.1 with non-English locales. You could fix it by temporarily changing your locale to English by going to about:config in the Firefox address bar, changing general.useragent.locale to en-US, and restarting Firefox.
  • I am using 1.5-sync2.1 with the locale set to en-US. I also have a problem with the system hanging for retrieve PDF metadata. I see the icon rotate but no other progress.
  • Thank you Dan, I have changed my configuration but now I have the same problem than Mr Bowden.
    Thanks
  • Stuart and drskouk: Check Report Errors under the Actions (gear icon) menu and, if there's an error, send in a report and post the Report ID here.

For reference, here's mfm154's error above (which isn't related to locales):
    string(343) "[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js :: anonymous :: line 311" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js" line: 311}]"
  • edited September 9, 2008
    Here is the error. It seems similar to the previous report so maybe it is fixed in the latest build?

[JavaScript Error: "head is undefined" {file: "chrome://answers/content/webtip1.js" line: 1115}]

No chrome package registered for chrome://help/content/contextHelp.js

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js :: anonymous :: line 311" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js" line: 311}]
  • Yes, that's the same error, and it is fixed.
  • Dan
    I still get the same error message - it is perplexing to me as I am using version 1.5-sync2.1. Any other ideas?

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js :: anonymous :: line 311" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/recognizePDF.js" line: 311}]

Report ID: 64034877
  • It's fixed on the trunk, not in SP2.1.
  • edited September 11, 2008
    I tried the trunk and got an error message that reads (translated from German):
    XML-processing error: undefined entity
    address: chrome://zotero/content/pdfProgress.xul
    line 9, column3: <label id="label" control="progress-indicator" value="&zotero.recognizePDF.recognizing.label;"/>
    ----------------^

added:
    oops, sorry, I see its the same that drskouk posted. never mind
  • Problem is fixed in SP2.2. Thank you!
    Is there a simple way to get an online PDF to my library? Currently I save the pdf to my hard disk, Open explorer, drag the pdf to zotero, retrieve meta data for pdf. Not that difficult, but I am thinking there might be a way to directly save the online PDF to my library.
  • You can drag a PDF link directly into Zotero, right-click the link and choose Save Link as Zotero Snapshot, or, if you're already viewing the PDF in Firefox, drag the favicon (to the left of the Firefox address bar) into Zotero.
  • Thanks for the information and responding so quickly. It works great!
  • Why I have to drag PDF into Zotero? When I add PDF attachment to the existing Item there is no possibility how to get Pdf Metadata?
  • the metadata is used to create a new item - if you already have an item with citation information you don't need it. Also, what would Zotero do with the information in the existing item?
    So if you want metadata retrieval for an attached pdf, drag it away from its parent item so it is a single item and then do retrieval. Note that metadata retrieval is a 2nd best option - the ideal is to use a site translator that gets you the pdf as well as the metadata all at once.
  • Hi! Is it possible to retrieve metadata without installing zotero? I am currently working on a laptop where I am not allowed to install zotero. Thanks for your advice!