WebDav sync hanging solution

Not quite a solution, doing a mass of uploads and one hangs the whole sync to WebDav server (well known problem with Dav server http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing).

I can't identify the file! Therefore cannot fix the problem.

Solution: Have the names of the upload sync files displayed on hover -- the one that is the problem will be identified, and makes fixing it simple.
  • edited January 29, 2014
    I'm not sure what you're saying is a well-known problem with using WebDAV. The page you link to doesn't really have anything to do with the upload process hanging.

Zotero syncs multiple files at once, so showing the file being synced would be rather awkward — it'd have to be a list of multiple files in the tooltip, and that'd get pretty messy. But there's also no reason for the file sync process to stall with a properly working WebDAV server and network connection — and if it does, you can just stop the file sync and restart it, or restart Zotero/Firefox. If by "stall" you just mean that it's a large file and takes longer to upload (which you would know by hovering over the blue progress bar), that's just something that should resolves itself eventually.
  • Thanks Dan,

I am not suggesting a list at all. When you hover over the sync icons the count is rolling, I suggest the name of the file is also shown, when things get stuck the name will be stuck there as well, as the file is uploaded the name is simply deleted.

I have 67 files from a variety of places that will not upload because the WebDav server is having a problem with one -- but which one? Apparently the error is in the index on the webDav from what I have seen on the web.

At the moment I cannot upload from my work machine.
  • Right, but I'm saying that multiple files are synced at once, so showing a single filename isn't possible.
  • If you view the debug output you might be able to figure out the recent files being transferred (based on their eight-character keys, which are also the folder names within 'storage' in the Zotero data directory), but that's rather hard to read if you don't know what you're looking at. Depending on the WebDAV service, you may also be able to talk to your server admin, who could look in the server logs. I'm afraid we're not able to help debug issues with individual WebDAV servers.
  • edited January 29, 2014
    Dan thanks for your kindness and advice, I do not expect sorting out my webDav problems.

I didn't realise that packets from different files were being sent during uploads, as I was fixated on the file counter ticking by I had assumed serial uploads -- sorry I misread your original post.

I will give debug a try. That will do the trick I think.

Thanks