License Issues

Why do you not mention the actual license? I was unable to find mention of the license under which zotero is released on this site. I had to google the information, which I found on the wiki for zotero.

Apparently, you release zotero under the Academic Free License (AFL), although I was not even able to find what version of the AFL you are actually using.

The AFL is a little-used license which as of version 1.2 is NOT compatible with the GPL. Even the new version of the AFL is not known to be compatible.

Your license is free as in beer, not free as in freedom. The fact that your main web page ambiguously refers to being "free" leads people to believe you use the GPL or a GPL-compatible license. You clearly must have knowledge of this, which shows intent to mislead.

Unless you use a license that is GPL-compatible, your source is not "free and open" as you claim. Until you switch to the GPL, I see no reason to put any amount of time into either using or helping out. I certainly see no reason to abandon the excellent proprietary software I'm using, EndNoteX, for a less feature-rich and buggy piece of proprietary software such as yours, even if you do give me the "priviledge" of providing you free development help.

I liken what you're doing to getting free code monkeys to help you develop a product to eventually sell. Is this not your plan? You only need the AFL if that's the plan.

You're just torpedoing the entire project by not using the GPL. Academics want the GPL. You seem to want academics. It's simply rude and insulting to offer what could be a very important piece of software in the academic community in this manner.

My two cents,
Aaron
  • edited March 7, 2007
    The developers have made no secret of the license. They've talked about it in these forums, included it with the source, etc. See:
    <https://www.zotero.org/svn/extension/branches/1.0/license.txt>;

Zotero is under the Educational Community License, which is OSI-certified and free:
    <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ecl1.php>;

It is NOT under the AFL (which isn't GPL-compatible, but is still open/free).
  • I'm as much an advocate of free software licenses as anyone, but what do you really hope to achieve with the polemical (and frankly uninformed) insults Aaron?
  • Thanks for your two cents, Aaron.

Zotero is not released under the AFL; it's under the Educational Community License. We chose this license to work in concert with other major educational open source projects that are trying to provide free and open replacements for software that costs colleges and universities an enormous amount of money each year. (Not to mention individuals who spend $299 on EndNoteX.) Many of these projects use the ECL. For instance, the ECL is the same license used by Sakai, an open source alternative to Blackboard and WebCT. ECL is somewhat of a placeholder; the 2.0 version (due this summer) is trying to be more concrete, deal with noxious patent issues, and make clearer its compatibility with more well-known licenses like Apache and GPL.

In terms of bugginess, we're still beta but are making rapid improvements. In terms of features, I like to think that we already have a lot of features--starting with the ability to grab citations from a huge variety of web resources, right in the browser, and our iTunes-like interface--that already present some distinct advantages over separate desktop applications like Endnote. And we're just getting started--see our upcoming features list.

A final note about the spirit of the project. We are constantly taking feature requests from these forums and implementing them on a daily basis (as our many users will attest)--something that is unusual even for open source projects, much less commercial projects like EndNote. And unlike the developers behind EndNote, we're actual users (historians) who really want to make sure the software serves the needs of academia well.
  • Dan, I appreciate your response.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions and being abrasive, but with the license you chose, and the difficulty I had in finding out what that license is, you should expect this to happen a lot once you get out of beta and the torrent of new users begins.

Perhaps you should make some source tarballs available easily from the main page?

You should be clear about the ECL and its compatibility with the GPLv2 (and the GPLv3 when it is finalized) from a link off the main page as well.

Personally, when and if I see zotero being released under a GPL-compatible license, I'll use it and also happily contribute. There is a big difference between gratis-free and libre-free, and I do not believe that the ECL in its current form achieves the latter.

Why are you NOT using the GPL, anyway? "Because Sakai does" isn't very convincing.
  • edited March 8, 2007
    Aaron,

Not even the FSF believes that GPL-compatibility is the sole mark of a libre-free software license & they list many licenses which are free but not compatible with the GPL. They haven't listed whether they think the ECL is GPL compatible, but Brad Wheeler & others who wrote the license think that it is GPL-compatible.

In the current version, the ECL is very similar to the MIT/Expat license (which is GPL compatible). The principle differences to the MIT license are that a notice of changes is required (as in the GPL) and that it explicitly protects trademarks of the original work and requires a way of distinguishing modifications from the original work.

It is quite permissive, and I fail to see how anyone could think it is a non-free license.
  • Also, regarding making "source tarballs available easily from the main page":

Zotero is a Firefox extension written entirely in JavaScript. The XPI file you download from the main page to install the extension is just a ZIP file with a different extension, and the zotero.jar file within it is just a ZIP file as well. The source code for the Word plugin, available separately, is also contained within the .dot file itself. Every single user of Zotero has the full source code and a copy of the ECL license.

And if you don't want to download the extension, there's SVN.
  • This raises an interesting strategic issue, though. If in the face of some ambiguity about a license (whcih seems to be the current state of the ECL), is it better to start with a more well-known and clearly-defined (and perhaps tighter) license to give potential contributors greater piece of mind?

I don't know myself, though I have a hucnh it is.
  • "It is quite permissive, and I fail to see how anyone could think it is a non-free license."

The problem with writing these new licenses that seem to be libre-free is that there exist a plethora of people out there who make business models based on infinitesimally small loopholes in these licenses that no reasonable person should have to plan for. Case in point is one of the motivating factors behind the GPLv3: tivoisation. I'm not saying this is a likely scenario for you, my point is that the GPL has already clearly dealt with these issues, and people who care about this know it. Another very important issue is how a license in one country works in another country. The GPL is also very concerned with this as well. Basically, IANAL, YANAL, WANL, but the GPLv3 is being edited by libre-minded lawyers in the field from all over the world who think (and litigate) about these issues all day long.

Stillman, thanks for the clarification. I've not contributed to a FF extension as of yet, so I did not know that the extension is composed of the same set of files every developer has.
  • The authors of GPL and some other licenses are concerned about tivoisation because they want an effective copylefting, that will make all derivatives free.

Many other free/open source licenses (BSD/MIT/similar licenses) don't care (and some actively encourage) derivative works which aren't, themselves, free/open source software.

The ECL was approved by legal counsels of universities, corporations, and the Open Source Initiative.

See also the submission to OSI:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg07630.html
  • "don't care," hah!

noksagt, you are clearly anti-GPL from an ideological standpoint. In the future, you should just come out and say that instead of trying to sell others on a different license that is somehow "just as good." I would have had my answer immediately.

Now that we have that established, I would like to know how I can initiate a debate about which license to use, and if possible bring the issue to a vote amongst you all.
  • Aaron,

You're both abrasive and mistaken.

I donate my time and my money to free/open source projects. Of the 31 projects I've made financial contributions to since I started to keep track, 20 are under the GPL. Nearly all of the software I began myself is under the GPL and the majority of projects that I've contributed significant amounts of code to are also under the GPL.

I think Dan and the other developers have been responsive to the community, even when faced with trolls such as yourself. It is their project & it is up to them (and their sponsors) as to what license they release under. It is nothing less than childish and offensive for you to try to "bully" your mis-informed personal preference onto them.

The license they've selected is permissive enough that you can, if I could be blunt, "put up or shut up." You could create a derivative work from Zotero and license and distribute it under the GPL.

Can someone please kindly "sink" this thread?
  • It is entirely reasonable to request a discussion and vote about choosing a different license, if the project is actively attracting new developers and is still in the early stages. That's not bullying, it's asking for a reasonable democratic process.

In fact, for sponsored developers on any team who would choose the GPL given the choice, they have a much diminished voice because if they push for a different license, they can threaten their livelihood. That is one of the functions of outside developers, to bring up issues like this so that there is nobody to be "blamed" and given consequences for their speech. Think union organizing.

To "put up or shut up" as you say, is the same as "I'm taking my marbles and going home," which actually would be childish. The developers want to create a replacement for an entire class of academically useful proprietary software, and get a lot of people on board contributing, so those people's voices should be heard.

If you think lobbying for the GPL is just a "mis-informed personal preference," you are merely stating your own interpretations and prejudices as fact. You yourself are being insulting to even suggest my motivations come from some personal selfish preference as opposed to being a part of the ongoing debate about Free Software. It's not a green icon versus a yellow icon issue, and just because you can't imagine how I can draw a distinction between what you call "free" and what I call "free" doesn't make you better informed or correct. It's clear you and I will not agree, and we don't need to, that's why I'm asking for a wider discussion and a vote.

Now, I would like to again ask about a discussion and voting process to select the license. Unlike noksagt, I'm not asking to censor or bury anyone's voice.
  • edited March 9, 2007
    Aaron, you seem to be pretty new to the Zotero forums. You also seem to be new to the open-source community of bib app developers, otherwise you'd know that your judgement about noksagt is incorrect. I can attest that noksagt has actively (and siginificantly) contributed to many open-source apps, again many of them being GPLed.

Until now, this forum has had a very polite tone and I'd like to stay it like that.

Personally, I think that voting is not a good measure of trying to influence the development of an open-source project. It's always much better to try to convince the developers with good (and politely presented!) arguments. A project with a distinct leadership and distinct management/development decisions will almost always be healthier in the long run than a project who's decisions are simply directed by votes of the masses.
  • A license discussion is a reasonable topic (although the final decision should rest with the developers and their sponsors).

What isn't reasonable are the (disinformational) insults that you lobbied first at Zotero and its developers because you thought that it was under a license which it wasn't & then which you spat at me for trying to explain to you the thought that had been put into the current license. It was somewhat amusing, but mostly frustrating, that a user of a proprietary reference manager which integrates only with proprietary office suites and runs only on proprietary operating systems would be so high-and-mighty about free/open source to me.

For my part, I'm sorry that I met your hostility in kind.

Sinking this thread would not "censor" it. It would not prevent more posts. It would only prevent it from being bumped to the top. I feel that there have been too many harsh words for this thread to be productive.

I agree with both Bruce and Aaron that a discussion on licensing would be interesting. But it should have both civility and accuracy, which this thread lacks (and which my last post didn't contribute to). Let's start fresh!
  • Matthius, I agree with you that everything should not be voted on, it's silly and counterproductive. I am only asking for a wider discussion and eventual vote on the license issue.

That request stands, and I guarantee you'll be getting many people asking for exactly the same think when the flood of users begins with the project out of beta.
  • noksagt, yes, let's start fresh. I did everything you just said I did, and it's because this is such a charged issue for me. It's hard for me not to jump to conclusions about this issue and make it personal when it's not. Sorry.

Indeed I can see why you would be irritated by my saying I'm using EndNote and at the same time having a high-and-mighty opinion about the terms of the license. I assure you it's not hypocritical; it's that I feel the switch must be all-or-nothing, because anything less will probably be reverted to nothing as soon as someone looks the other way. This comes from my years inside scientific journals as a part-time programmer, and from my experiences every day in trying to get access to some paper I need to read when I know full well just how much of an academic publisher's website is dedicated to denying access instead of increasing it. It also comes from all the entrenched proprietary software I have to use in the biological sciences every day just to communicate with my colleagues and do my research. It's all about avoiding the "gotchas" that screw the whole effort, but get slipped in when nobody else is looking. I can expand upon this in the new thread.

Would someone else with more authority and knowledge of the project start the new thread?
This discussion has been closed.