Is it possible to sync group libraries only?

Is it possible to sync group libraries only? I keep the back up of my personal Zotero storage in another place, not on Zotero server, but I also want to join a group and be able to update that library.
Thanks!
  • no it's not.
    But you can disable file syncing for your personal Zotero library and syncing your data doesn't affect your storage quota - not sure if that's your concern.
  • But then I'll be able to access the group libraries only on the web-site, right?
  • sorry, I don't understand the question. Maybe you could step back a little and explain what you're trying to do?
  • I'm having a Zotero installed on my computer. The storage file is placed in my Google Drive folder and syncs with Google Drive. For this reason I disabled syncing with Zotero server a few years ago. Recently, however, I joined a group library with several participants, and I had to switch on syncing because otherwise the library would not come up in Zotero on my computer. This syncing messed up a little my own library, though, because last time I synced to Zotero server was very long time ago. That's why I was wondering if it was possible to sync only group libraries. What I want to do is to be able to work with the group library from my own computer without syncing my personal library with Zotero server not to mess it up.
  • yeah, so the answer is, as I say above, no, you can't just sync group libraries. (Data) Sync is either/or.
    You can disable _file_ syncing selectively. http://www.zotero.org/support/sync for the distinction.

FWIW, using google drive or dropbox for sync is very much discouraged as it can cause other problems such as database corruption.
  • Well, it's only a back up, the real storage is on the computer.
    Anyway, thanks for the answer.
  • edited January 22, 2014
    I guess my question fits here...if not, please excuse
    I'm trying to advocate a Zotero group between fellow teachers and I'm facing resistance due to the following scenario:
    A few have already an excisting Zotero library on their computer but only use it locally and don't need/want to sync it with other computers and therefore don't need a storage plan to accomodate the size of their personal library. I would be the owner of the group and have an adequately sized storage plan to accomadate it.
    If the other group members would now get a Zotero account, join the group and try to sync, I suppose some of them would get a warning that their personal library exceeds the maximum size for syncing. However, would the group library (owned by me) still sync correctly with them and would their personal library on their local computer stay intact? If yes, great...if no, any ideas other them all having to buy storage plans? Thanks
  • I was able to join a group library and sync it even though my storage far exceeded the space on Zotero server. However, I encountered other issues during syncing. I used to sync my personal library with the server before it got big. Then I stopped. Since then I, of course, reorganized folders, labels, etc locally. So, when I pushed the sync button again, long time after the last sync, I was able to see the group library, but I also saw the old folders appear in my personal library and mess things up. It seems I worked around it through trial and error (as you can see I even created another account), but I'll leave it to the professionals to explain what is the best way to do it. I'm sure mine was not the optimal one.
  • People who do not want their personal library to use up space can uncheck the box to sync files from their personal library. The storage space for a group counts only against the group owner's quota, so if you own the group and they choose not to sync their personal library files they will not use any of their storage quota.
  • Can someone explain the difference between syncing the files from the personal library and syncing the data from the personal library?
  • Thank you so much for your answers. Should have been obvious, and helps me A LOT!
    In regard to this I want to emphasize that for me personally the money I spent for my Zotero storage is some of the best money I spent and considering the whole package I find it very fair for what I get. However, as I try to advertise the benefits of grouping up to my colleagues, those potential 20 bucks per year seem to threaten some of them to die of starvation!! But now, nobody needs to worry…Thanks again