Style request: Harvard for Emerald

I would be grateful if a new style can be made. This is the style required for Emerald's journals.

The Emerald site details the bibliographical requests:
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/harvard.htm?part=2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest using the APA and making the following changes:

General:
Punctuation should be as follows:

* for two authors, separate by "and", without a comma
* for multiple authors, separate by a comma, but the last name should be linked by "and" without the comma.

Example

Richardson, A. (1988)
Richardson, A. (1989a)
Richardson, A. (1989b)
Richardson, A. and Brown, B., (1988)
Richardson, A. and Smith, S., (1986)
Richardson, A., Brown, B. and Smith, S. (1983)
Ingram, T.N., Schwepker, C.H. and Hutson, D. (1992)
Ingram, T.N., Laforge, R.W., Schwepker, C.H. Jr, Avila, R.A. and Williams, M.R. (1997)
Ingram, T.N., Laforge, R.W., Avila, R.A. and Schwepker, C.H. Jr and Williams, M.R. (2001)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books:
after the (date) use , instead of .
after title use , instead of .
Publisher name comes before location
between publisher name and location use , instead of :

Examples:
Abbott, A. (1988), System of Professions: An Essay on the Division of Expert Labor , University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.

Patton, M.Q. (1990), Qualitative Evaluation and Research Methods , 2nd ed., Sage, Newbury Park, CA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter from edited book:
As before, there are no . or ; in the bibliographic record, use , instead.
"chapter title"
Editor last name before first initial
write pp. before page numbers

Example:
Bourdieu, P.(1977), "The forms of capital", in Richardson, J.G. (Ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education, Greenwood Press, New York, NY, pp. 311-56.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal articles

As before, there are no . or ; in the bibliographic record, use , instead.
"title"
write pp. before page numbers
write Vol. before volume number.

Example

Baron, R.M. and Kenny, D.A. (1986), "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, pp. 1173-82.

Guthrie, J. and Parker, L. (1997) "Editorial: Celebration, reflection and a future: a decade of AAAJ", Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal , Vol. 10 No.1, pp. 3-8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from the site:
If all the above seems complicated, it's worth remembering that the Harvard system is actually quite logical. Bear in mind the following guidelines:

* The entry always begins with the author's surname, followed by initials, followed by the date in brackets.

* Authors' surnames and initials are always inverted, i.e. Other, A.N. (whether you are referring to the author of an article/chapter, or the editor of the work within which the work is found).

* If more than one entry by the same author, put in order of dates.

* Publications, whether book or journal titles, are always in italic, with significant words only capitalized. Make sure that the journal title is exactly the same, e.g. use of &/and.

* Excerpts from publications, i.e. book chapters, journal articles, always come in "quotes", with only the first word, proper names, and German nouns, capitalized.

* The name of the publisher is shown before the place of publication (as it would be in an address). Abbreviations for US states should be in short capitalized form, e.g. CA, MA, rather than Ca., Mass., and should be added as necessary.

* Electronic references follow the same conventions as printed ones, followed by "available at:" and the URL. Only retain "http://" if the address does NOT include www. Also, state the date when last accessed (accessed ...).

* Use commas to separate elements of the entry.

************************************************************************************************

REFERENCES WITHIN THE MANUSCRIPT
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/harvard.htm?part=4

In the case of two authors, use "and" (never &):
Example

Earlier (Vroom and Jago, 1988) we described a systematic evaluation ...

Vroom and Yetton (1973) studied this potential limitation.

In the case of more than two authors, use " et al." to avoid listing author names in full (note italics).
Example

... the ability to respond intuitively and often very rapidly (Bar-Tel et al., 1999; Prietula and Simon, 1989; Schoemaker and Russo, 1993; Simon, 1997).

Crossan et al. (1999) stress that the subconscious is critical to understanding how people come to ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
  • Hello,
    I posted this request a month ago following the instructions I received.
    Is there anything else I need to do in order to advance my request?
    Thanks,
    Sigal
  • The main style creations person has said that he is short on time these days, so I imagine he just hasn't managed to take a look at it yet.

You can also try to make the changes yourself; see http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/creating_citation_styles and ask here if you run into any trouble.
  • yeah, sorry, this is bookmarked, but I'm swamped.
  • Hello, sorry to nag.
    I posted this request on October. Unfortunately I am incapable of making this style myself. PLEASE help!
    Emerald is quite a large publisher, I am sure this request will assist many. If I am not mistaken they have more than 200 journals all using the same citation style.
    Sigal
  • it's uploaded as Emerald Journals Harvard - should show up in the repository within the next 24hs - I just implemented what you described as differences to APA, so please double check and let me know how it looks.
  • Thank you very much! This is a great help.

It seems to work very well. Here are the points I think need correcting: (The examples are results of the present style)

1. There are missing spaces in the references after the last name (except when there is an 'and'. There are also missing spaces between two references.
    (Archer,2004;Schmitt,Realo,Voracek and Allik,2008).

2. In case of more than 2 authors use 'et al'
    (Byrnes et al.,1999).

3. In the Reference list there is also a missing space after the last name, and after the coma that appears after the year. Spaces are also missing after the title, journal name, Vol, No, and pp.

Archer,J. (2004),“Sex differences in aggression in real-world settings: A meta-analytic review,”Review of General Psychology,Vol.8 No.4,pp.291–322.

Thanks again,
    Sigal
  • yeah I noticed that, sorry - should be able to get to this early next week.
  • OK, try again once the date in the repository updates. Sorry about that - I had tested this before posting, but my cool new formatting tool stripped out all spaces right before I uploaded and I didn't notice. Keep an eye out and let me know about double spaces so I can get rid of them.
  • Thanks, the spaces are fine now.
    Could you also fix this comment:

2. In case of more than 2 authors use 'et al'
    (Byrnes et al.,1999).
  • it should do that - are you sure it doesn't? How about if it's the only citation in an otherwise empty document? If that also doesn't use et al - which Zotero version are you using?
  • I'm using 2.0.9
    I started a new document and it is also not using the et al for 3 or 4 authors
  • OK fixed, stupid mistake in the code, thanks for your patience.
    Look for the changed date behind the style in the repository and then update the style by re-installing it.
  • I just downloaded the last version of Harvard Style for Emerald. All my references which I captured from science direct, Google scholar or any online source have doi at their end in the EndNote citations which I think is wrong. DOI only goes to webpages and alike not journal articles within a journal. Am I missing something?
  • not sure how that happened. I'll fix it asap.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)
    The style should also automatically update in your version of Zotero within 24hs
    Any further problems please let us know.
  • I still get { } around my abbreviations... like IEEE or OR

like {IEEE} transaction on reliability

instead of

IEEE transaction on reliability

Thanks,
  • the curly brackets must be in Zotero, though, no? The style can't insert anything into titles.
  • no they are not.
  • what's your set-up? (Zotero version, word processor version etc.)
  • second issue

add this work with zotero to your library...you can find it with google...

Van der Aalst, W.M., 1998. The application of Petri nets to workflow management. J. Circuits Syst. Comput. 8, 21–66.

then add anothre work starts with letter B lets say

Bollen, J., Van de Sompel, H., Hagberg, A., Chute, R., 2009. A principal component analysis of 39 scientific impact measures. PloS One 4, e6022.

add both of them to the document....

then compare emerald harvard with elseriver harvard style bibliographcs...

orders are different ....

clearly the EMERALD Format is still having problem. it does not catch the alphabetical order right...

please confirm.

Thanks,
    zotero 4.0.17
    word 2013..32bit..update with window 8.
  • There are different rules about how/where to sort names with particles:
    Van der Aalst can be sorted under V or under A depending on the rules of the style. If you have any documentation or published examples that shows Emerald wants this cited under V I can change that.

I can not replicate the curly brackets issue, are you still seeing that?
  • well...I am not sure what are the rules of the style for such name...but the last name clearly starts with V....

I moved to mendeley for the time being as it seems more reasonable when it comes to formatting. and not disposing 100 lines of code into my word doc.

now I am back into zotero and still have problem with conference papers bibliographic style... it does not follow my guideline!...zotero seems to not collect the information about the location of conference from IEEE portal...

For unpublished
    conference proceedings Surname, Initials (year), "Title of paper", paper presented at Name of Conference, date of conference, place of conference, available at: URL if freely available on the internet (accessed date).

e.g. Aumueller, D. (2005), "Semantic authoring and retrieval within a wiki", paper presented at the European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), 29 May-1 June, Heraklion, Crete, available at: http://dbs.uni-leipzig.de/file/aumueller05wiksar.pdf (accessed 20 February 2007).

Thanks again for support.
  • source for format: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/products/journals/author_guidelines.htm?id=ijpdlm

is there is any test program that runs different cases to check how many of the styles are perfectly written? or basically grades different styles development?
  • It's impossible to check styles automatically. We fix things when they're brought to our attention.

If the data in Zotero isn't complete, the style can't produce correct output. If you get incomplete import from a page, start a new thread with a sample URL.
    Generally unpublished conference papers should be categorized as "Presentation" in Zotero, and that looks generally right to me with Emerald.
  • That's what I am actually doing now by hand... there is a list of citations I have with complete fields and I import them into different styles and check them with what they should look like in database and then in bibliography of my word doc... i do for both mendeley and zotero...kinda painful.

also, I have a list of different cites in different websites like scopus, ieee, acm, citeceer and ... with long names and stuff like that..and then test mendeley vs zotero on extracting them....to see which one imports more accurately and comprehensively (the winner is zotero by far)... there are some data that Harvard style needs like the location of the conference that none of these sites provide in their bibtext or citation reports. but the data is clearly on the website (e.g. IEEE).

Also, what I had to paste/refer was this: and it is not producing the right report as of now... published conference paper...Or the format example is a really weird case.

For published
    conference proceedings
    , Initials (year of publication), "Title of paper", in Surname, Initials (Ed.), Title of published proceeding which may include place and date(s) held, !!!Publisher, Place of publication!!!, Page numbers.

e.g. Jakkilinki, R., Georgievski, M. and Sharda, N. (2007), "Connecting destinations with an ontology-based e-tourism planner", in Information and communication technologies in tourism 2007 proceedings of the international conference in Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2007, Springer-Verlag, Vienna, pp. 12-32.
  • there are some data that Harvard style needs like the location of the conference that none of these sites provide in their bibtext or citation reports. but the data is clearly on the website (e.g. IEEE).
    If you provide examples (in a new thread), we can probably fix this.
  • I doubt we can. As you (aurimas) know, Zotero doesn't have separate fields for publisher-place and event-place. Same for event-date and published-date. It's a problem & we're aware of it, but it won't get fixed super soon.