errors on one computer, other working fine (download request already exists, mod time conflict)

I'm getting two errors on my desktop iMac when using syncpreview 1.5-sync2.1. it's working fine on my macbook pro, set up with my iDisk.

both computers have this latest version, and both computers are able to verify the idisk.

the errors are:
"last error: download request already exists in zotero.sync.storage.addRequest()"

"last error: Conflict! Last known mod time does not match remote time!"

Thanks for your help. Seems like a great service.

regards,
Bobby
  • hi i have the same problems with the second computer.
    how long do we have to wait before syncing the second pc with first?
  • and now i get this:
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.getStorageModificationTime()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • If a similar thread already exists, could someone please point us to it?

regards,
    bobby
  • "last error: download request already exists in zotero.sync.storage.addRequest()"

I have this error as well (but no clue how to solve the problem)

Martin
  • what URL are you putting in to get synching on your idisk? I've been using

https://idisk.mac.com/username/Public

says it's not a valid webdav URL :(((
  • the same here. i just purchased a mobileme pack with my new mac because i thought it would work with zotero, but zotero refuses to accept idisk as a webdav server.
  • Does the WebDAV URL work from the web browser?
  • synching worked initially for me. Also with attachments (I use the gmx-mediacenter for file storage). However, after some days without any problems somehow the synching got stuck on both computers showing the error:

last error: download request already exists in zotero.sync.storage.addRequest()

I didn´t really search the forum, I just clicked on everything that looked as if it could solve the problem (clear server data, reset server lock, reseet client) without really knowing what I´m doing. Maybe that was not a very good idea. At least it did not solve the problem.

Martin

Martin
  • Same errors here. I use Vista SP1, the latest Firefox 3 and Jungle Disk. Bought all the account in the hope that it works with Zotero. Can't wait to see file syncing work out. The developers are doing a great job here!
  • I have trashed all my databases using the sync beta versions. I have various backups (but none are perfect). backup by copying the whole zotero folder is best. I will probably have to go back to imperfect backups and cut my losses. I love this program. I am using www.mydocsonline.com as a webdav server. it was working before I got all screwed up with every error (reconcilliation, download request already exists). I have all my records on both sites but attachments show up but don't launch. this is inspite of huge downloads from the storage server. Attachments just can not be found. I love zotero (but it has sucked some time recently). still love it and need it.
  • General solution to most Sync Preview–related problems, assuming you have all your data on one side (or can export via RDF the amount that's different):

1) Back up and erase zotero.sqlite, zotero.sqlite.bak, and 'storage' on one side.

2) On the other side, use Clear Server Data and—if you had storage-related problems (such as Zotero.Sync.Storage.* and mod time messages)—Reset Storage History.

3) From the same side as #2, restart Firefox and open Zotero to start a sync, which should upload all your metadata to the Zotero server and all your files to your WebDAV server.

4) Open Firefox and Zotero on the other side to pull down all your data and files.

5) If errors reoccur (not counting "reconciliation unimplemented" errors, which just indicate that you've triggered a conflict that isn't yet supported), let us know, as, among other things, they may indicate incompatibilities with certain WebDAV providers.
  • Idisk problems...

Make sure you make the directory zotero in your public folder. NOTE, it's case sensitive, so will not work if you make Zotero etc....
  • Hi Dan, is there any other way of solving the "Download request already exists in Zotero.Sync.Storage" error other than Reset Server History?
    Its not a great solution when you have large amounts of data to re-upload.
    Regards, Jon.
  • Jon: Are you sure that's the original error? (Check Report Errors.)
  • Hi Dan, pretty sure - I copied it off report errors. Sorry should have reported it properly, I was just a bit frustrated and lots else on my plate.
    The only error I've got at the moment (there's been a lot of restarting firefox)
    is

[JavaScript Error: "File not found for item 8817 after extracting ZIP in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownload()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1119}]

But I'd already bit the bullet and cleared my server history so it's started to re-upload.
    If I manage to reproduce it I'l let you know.
    I think it may have been caused by me adding a whole load of snaptshots, editing them, generally mucking around and deleting them, whilst it was trying to sync.
    Might try that again, see if I can reproduce it.
    Regards, Jon.
  • Hi Dan, OK I'm definitely sure this time! Left the sync uploading overnight, so wasn't trying to do anything clever and I got this (an awful lot)

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Download request already exists in Zotero.Sync.Storage._addRequest()' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

Windows XP, Firefox 3.04 Zotero 1.5a1r.380

error report 834104782

I'll email the debug output to support.

Regards, Jon.
  • Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant original since Firefox restart. The first message in your error report is "Conflict! Last known mod time does not match remote time!", which indicates that Zotero thinks (rightly or wrongly) that a file has changed on both sides between syncs. The "request already exists" messages are just residual effects from that.

For the moment, you'll probably need to either clear the files off the server, reset storage history, and let it re-upload all the files or else examine the debug output (after a restart) to find out what files it sees as being in conflict and clear those manually (with their .prop files) from the server.

The next release should handle all of this a bit better.
  • edited November 27, 2008
    OK, well looking forward to the next release then! Anything that means not having to upload the whole thing again (examining debug output, not today thankyou!) will be great.

I do have one suggestions though: I still think the original problem may have been caused because I was doing a lot of adding, deleting, renaming and general mucking about. Because I had both sync server and storage server enabled to sync automatically (I did notice it trying to upload files whilst I was uploading) and I'm wondering it that caused the initial problem.

So for the moment I'm going to keep the storage sync unchecked whilst I'm working and only sync attachments if I know I'm going to another computer. What I was thinking was that maybe a GUI option added to the sync green arrow to let it know whether you want to sync attachments as well as meta data. That way I keep control without having to dive into preferences every time. Turning it on isn't the problem, it's remembering to turn it off.

Of course this may all be rendered redundant by the next release...
    Regards, Jon.
  • Second Jon's suggestion about a little more controls around the green arrow.
  • There's a stop button for the file sync in Sync Preview 3.4, now available, and the storage code has been rewritten to (theoretically) be much more robust. There may be bugs, but there's a decent chance they'll be different ones.
This discussion has been closed.