won't load

I'm a new user. I added Zotero yesterday, and today added ML Zotero. I was working away, and then closed Zotero and shortly thereafter re-opened it. I got this message:

"This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org.

"Current version: 4.0.17

"See http://zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version for more information."

When I clicked "Check for updates" I get the message:

"No updates available. Zotero will check periodically for updates."

The sole possibility is to check "OK" but when I do so, the program closes.

I can still work since I can see my materials on "My Library" at Zotero.org, but I'd like to have Standalone back, and the whole experience has been very unnerving.
  • edited January 7, 2014
    I'm a new user. I added Zotero yesterday, and today added ML Zotero.
    If you have used ML Zotero (MLZ), then you cannot go back to official Zotero without reverting your database. Make sure you still have MLZ installed.

Edit: Oh, and there's no MLZ Standalone version, so your only option is to use Firefox with MLZ.
  • Thanks Aurimas, I follow. I now have ML Zotero back and all my data is OK. I'm not sure I like having Zotero in the bottom of my browser rather than separately -- it's harder to read what I'm doing when I'm taking notes -- but at least I have full functionality again.
  • If you want Zotero to be bigger, you may want to run Zotero in tab mode. See the icon at the top right of Zotero window.