Allow "Duplicates" and "Unfiled Items" saved searches as search conditions

I think this would generally be useful - haven't looked at the code, but would expect this to be low-hanging fruit?

One use case e.g. is to mark items as not-duplicates, by adding a tag "not-duplicate":

Create a saved search "Real Dupes":
Saved Search -- is -- Duplicates
Tag -- is not -- not-duplicate

Might also be useful for people looking to organize their unfiled items. I'm sure there's more.
  • (Hope this is not inappropriate in these discussions. New to Zotero and these forums.)

I would LOVE to see something like this. I seem to generate quite a few false positives when it comes to duplicates.

It would also be nice if we could tweak how duplicates are determined in the first place: Perhaps deferring to different DOIs or JSTOR stable URLs as a way of resolving that items are NOT duplicates even if titles/authors are identical. Perhaps something in the config file (hidden preferences)? (Should I put this in a separate feature request?)
  • Perhaps deferring to different DOIs or JSTOR stable URLs as a way of resolving that items are NOT duplicates even if titles/authors are identical.
    We already check DOIs. If DOIs don't match, items should not be detected as duplicate. If the DOIs match, items are considered duplicate. All other checks are performed if DOI is not available.
  • Good to know, aurimas!

It would be great if something similar were done with other unique identifiers analogous to DOIs. (e.g., JSTOR stable URLs). I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but if this is already done for DOIs then I expect the process might be readily extended...
  • looking at other fields - in particular the URL field is tricky: the same item _can_ have different URLs and I don't think we want to go about parsing the URL field for specific webpages. As for JSTOR, items there now have DOIs, so that's mostly solved.