citations will not save in Zotero

I am conducting a literature review of medical databases such as Web of Knowledge and SCOPUS. I need to save all search results into Zotero in an .ris format.

This week I have been unable to save searches in Zotero (I previously did not have the following problem, but Windows automatically updated this week, so perhaps this is related). After I have conducted a search, select the folder in Zotero in which I want citations be saved, then click on the folder icon in the address bar, select all citations, click Okay, the 'Saving to (folder name) pop up appears in the lower right corner of my screen---then this disappears, no citations appear in a list on the right side of my screen and no citations are saved in Zotero.

In Web of Knowledge there is no choice to specifically export the citation to a .ris . However, as a test in Web of Knowledge I clicked "send to other file formats" and the data was saved as .txt . I didn't send it to Zotero, but repeated the process, described in the previous paragraph above and the files DID save in Zotero, but only the first page of results saved in Zotero. When I repeated the actions of "sending to other file formats" saving data as .txt and trying to save to Zotero with the second and third pages of search results--when I clicked on the folder icon in the address bar, all the correct citations from the 2nd and 3rd pages appeared in the "select items' window, however when the list of citations appeared on the right side of the screen only citations from the 1st page appeared and these citations (from the 1st page of search results) were saved in my Zotero folder).

When I checked the Report Errors in Zotero, it appeared in grey, thus there are no errors Zotero is reporting.

My computer is running Windows 7, Zotero 4.0.17, Firefox 25.0.1 and Kaspersky anti-virus software. I have updated all the plug-ins for Firefox and Windows is up-to-date.

Thank you for your help
  • So the first paragraph - this is referring to SCOPUS?
  • No--all of the post refers to Web of Knowledge.
  • I'm not sure why you want to export to RIS specifically? Just import into Zotero - if you do need RIS at the end you can export that from Zotero later. You'll get the best results by sending the citations to "Endnote" (not Endnote Web) saving the selected file (.ciw) and importing that in Zotero (import in the gears menu).

I don't know why the URL bar icon doesn't work correctly for you. Are you using Zotero Standalone, or just the Firefox add-on? If you _are_ using Standalone, make sure you have it closed while trying this.
    Beyond that, run through these:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    Instead of a sample URL, we'd want the exact steps you're using to get the display you're trying to save from: search terms, databases selected and anything else relevant.
  • edited December 15, 2013
    It does seem that this is not working with Standalone open. I will investigate why.

Edit: yes, there is something really messed up when Zotero Standalone is opened and then even after it is closed. I probably won't have time to figure this out today though.
  • I'm not using Zotero standalone-I'm using Zotero through Firefox (v 25.0.1)

Thanks for investigating!
  • As I said - if you're not using standalone we need you to run through these:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    and provide the requested information (see my additional requests above). This works for me in Firefox.
    Also, are you on campus or going through a proxy?
  • I ran through all the steps on the Troubleshooting translator issues page and didn't have any success. So, I went to the university library with laptop and finally there, Zotero worked properly. It must have been an issue with my proxy location.
  • Adam,
    I have filed more than 150 references in my desktop computer. I will travel and I will work with my notebook. I have 2 questions, please:
    From which website you suggest me to download extension xpi(for WORD use)?
    Hox do I do to export my references from my desktop to my notebook?
    Thank you, JL
  • Please start a new thread if you have further questions:
    From which website you suggest me to download extension xpi(for WORD use)?
    If you're using Firefox, see http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation For Standalone, go to Preferencs -> Cite
    Hox do I do to export my references from my desktop to my notebook?
    You should sync them http://www.zotero.org/support/sync