Syncing error, even after a fresh start - "Invalid response from server"

It's been a roller coaster of being thrilled with Zotero and then not being able to get the syncing to work. The background is this:

1. I'm using Mac OS 10.4, FireFox 3, and Zotero 1.5, SP2.

2. I recently stripped my library of all links to attachments, exported it and then imported it into a fresh, clean profile at home (after weeks of problems). That worked. It also finally was able to sync. Then I attached files to the items, and ran the file syncing to a WebDAV on the university's server. That all worked. Then I did a clean sync from my work computer and all the files and entries lined up beautifully. I made some changes at work and synced completely (I thought).

3. When I got home, I opened up Firefox & Zotero, and then was unable to sync because there were apparently conflicts. At some point later, a wonderful screen popped up that showed me what the conflicts were, and allowed me to pick which version I wanted to make the final one.

4. Following the instructions on other forum entries, I then reset the server and did a full sync/backup of the current version to the server.

5. Even after all that, however, I can't get it to sync. I get the following message.

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

Interestingly, when I tried to submit the full report, I got "Invalid response from repository" error message, and it wouldn't send it.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?
  • Run a sync with debug output enabled and either post the 20 lines before "Rolling back transaction" (which should be a little ways up from the bottom after you get the error) or send the full debug output to support@zot....org for us to take a look.
  • edited September 18, 2008
    There is no "rolling back transaction" message, but here is the last bit of the log, which seems more relevant. (One further note, I did import a couple of exported items with attachments from my previous library, in the process of trying to get everything to work.)

Thanks!

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 29

zotero(5): SELECT itemID FROM collectionItems WHERE collectionID=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 30

zotero(3): Unloading all creators

zotero(3): Loading all items

zotero(5): SELECT I.*, COALESCE(CASE (SELECT COUNT(*) [...]

zotero(3): Releasing session lock

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=2&sessionid=... to https://sync.zotero.org/unlock

zotero(1): Invalid response from server

zotero(3): <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <response version="2" timestamp="1221728983"><unlocked/></response>
  • The relevant bit would actually be up a bit from there. (Unfortunately, after a recent change, the important stuff is no longer conveniently at the end.) You should see either "Rolling back transaction" or "Flagging nested transaction for rollback".
  • edited September 20, 2008
    I've sent the data separately. And I'm afraid that this may have been the result of a meltdown of my DSL modem.

One debugging step to take, I've learned, is to run a speed test of my internet connection. It turns out my upload rate was 11kpbs (instead of 720). Something I'd recommend checking, if syncing suddenly takes a turn for the worse.