Translator for New Yorker not working.

Attempting to add http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/12/where-are-the-games-for-disabled-players.html causes a "Could not save item" error.

Zotero 4.0.16 on Firefox 25.0.1 on Windows 8 64-bit.
  • works for me. Could you run through these, please?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    if 1-11 doesn't work, please provide all info for 12, especially error report ID and the name of the translator displayed.
  • edited December 7, 2013
    Report ID: 1112162810
    Translator displayed: The New Yorker

Zotero 4.0.16 on Firefox 25.0.1 on Windows 8 64-bit.
  • @Dan - what's the error message?
  • [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.fileSize]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js :: :: line 1210" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 476}]
    whuber: Try disabling your other Firefox extensions. If that doesn't help, this could be caused by security software on your system, so you could try temporarily disabling that.
  • I have disabled a large number of Firefox extensions. That did the trick. When I have a little more time, I will re-enable them one-by-one to isolate the culprit, and will post it on this thread.
  • Too optimistic, too soon. The issue reappeared, even after disabling pretty much everything that wasn't a Zotero plugin. Here's the most recent error ID:

• Can you provide a Debug ID for a save attempt that fails?
  • And are you running any security software?
  • Actually, sorry, forget about the Debug ID for now — you're getting lots of errors, but those are from file syncing, so they're actually probably unrelated to your saving problem. We can debug those separately, but adamsmith, I can actually reproduce an error saving from that page, but I think only if I try to save immediately after the icon appears. If I wait for all the background iframes to load, it works. (This error doesn't show in whuber's report, but it was probably pushed out by all the sync errors.)
    [JavaScript Error: "No title specified for item" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translate.js" line: 591}]
  • Just the Microsoft Essentials antivirus. Nothing third-party or unusual.

Here is where it gets weird: whenever I run debugging, it works. When I turn it off and restart, it doesn't.

Will follow up tomorrow. Thanks for responding quickly.
  • I have a debug ID which reflects the issue: D892075464
  • thanks - I can reproduce this now, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to fix, so likely won't be quick.
  • So the error occurs because doWeb gets called on a Google ads page (in an iframe). Once the whole page is loaded, the detectWeb on the top frame overrides the detectWeb results from the iframes and all is good.

I'll have to look into this more, but I'm wondering if we can somehow process detectWeb calls starting with the top frame (instead of processing iframes first). Of course that requires that the top frame is done loading and I'm not sure if we can determine whether it's done loading before the iframes load (if that makes sense). I think that would be the most reasonable solution here. We could of course patch up The New Yorker translator to ignore google ads pages, but I'd like to address this globally.