Indexing strategy for large libraries

I have 5000 or so pdf items to index, which would take my computer a few days during which I wouldn't be able to use Zotero. I figured out a way to select a subset of them to index, but it's a bit time-consuming.

Is there a method that would index unindexed items without a time-consuming workaround? For example, can I "rebuild index" and start "index unindexed items", run it for a while, and then cancel the operation? If so, would the items that have been indexed during that session retain their index information? Then I could repeat the operation until everything was indexed. Or perhaps another strategy?
  • You can't currently cancel full-text indexing, no. Have you tried simply leaving it overnight?
  • Yes, I've tried leaving it for 2 days. I'm not sure if it's planned, but some sort of progress indicator would be useful to see if it's hanging or making progress.

Does the fact that it takes more than 2 days mean that something is wrong?

I've also realized that my strategy of selecting a subset of items to index is non-optimal because it requires re-indexing all selected items, not just the unindexed ones. Is there any plan to allow "index un-indexed items" for a subset of items rather than only for an entire library?

Lastly, I have tried doing full-text indexing on items and syncing them, but on my other computer, the indexing status is "unknown". I've tried several times syncing each in turn, closing and opening Zotero Standalone on each, and the status doesn't change. Why would that happen, and is there a fix?
  • Does the fact that it takes more than 2 days mean that something is wrong?
    No. Indexing is pretty slow right now. It should get much faster in a future version when we switch to a new indexing system.
    Is there any plan to allow "index un-indexed items" for a subset of items rather than only for an entire library?
    No, but I suppose I'm not opposed to its showing a similar prompt as in the prefs if some of the selected items are already indexed.
    Lastly, I have tried doing full-text indexing on items and syncing them, but on my other computer, the indexing status is "unknown".
    That's a minor cosmetic bug, but I suspect you'll find that if you leave your computer unattended for a while (or even for a few seconds, depending on how many there are) those will change to "Yes".