Zotero appearance - How do I change date format in "Date Added?

2»
  • I'd really wish you'd cut the "culture" nonsense. Gracile is French, I'm German, we're not just aware that dates look different from US standards in different "cultures" we are natives of such cultures.

But since you're so fond of cultural explanations, let me give you a bit of advice on US and Western European culture: Calling someone culturally insensitive is a euphemism for calling someone racist. Calling someone racist is a major insult, even if you follow it by a compliment: "He's a big racist, though otherwise he's a great dude" is still an insult. In our primitive cultures, people thus insulted tend to be disinclined to give any assistance to the insulter on future encounters.

Also, Graham's question wasn't about a localized version of the date, but about an ISO version of it, which to my knowledge is, as I say, mainly used for automated sorting.
  • I am trying to prod the developers (whom I admire -- great dudes, NOT RACIST) to put just a **little** more attention into these cultural/locale/format matters.

I DO NOT THINK THESE GUYS OR GALS ARE RACIST ONE TINY BIT!

Your email is unhelpful and quite rude. As a person who has worked and lived all over the world (not in Germany but with Germans) I think I have some experience in cultural problems (my family is mixed too!!)

It is not at all obvious what is important from one culture to another. Date formats are often set by Locale which in some computer speak is roughly translated as "culture". Confusion between formats costs money & time!

Cool down please.

Yes he asked about ISO version. I was just trying to be helpful because the Asian version (yes a kind of "culture") would seem to give him what he needed.

Phew.
  • well, after successfully antagonizing pretty much anyone providing support here (and not just once - Simon, Dan, and Frank told you to tone it down before, without success, apparently) - good luck getting any help in the future.
  • Cool down please.
    Funny from your part.
    I was just trying to be helpful because the Asian version [...] would seem to give him what he needed.
    Indeed but everything will be localized; not sure that's the desired result.
  • Do not wish to antagonize. I really do not. I just wanted to help Graham.... - 'nuff said on that.

Gracile's last point is an interesting one.

Graham, just see if something like:

Update to latest version, for me 3.0.11 (now)
    Tools ==> Options ==> Miscellaneous (at bottom left) ==> warning message ==> look for what to set. The developers will probably be able to help you with. Or try yourself at your own risk you can probably set it back.
  • Version 4.0.11
    Tools => Preferences => "open about:Config"
    Then it's the same and it works.
    I have to say, it's hard to eliminate US English and settings from programs. This is usually parochialism, since US English (such as 'zee' instead of 'zed') actually makes more sense. But mm/dd/yy doesn't!
  • Thank-you Phonologist, for keeping us up to date. You're talking about Standalone? I presume the rest of the instruction is => set intl.locale.matchOS to false, and set general.useragent.locale to en-GB?
  • There's nothing new here. Simon, above, gives the proper instructions and an explanation:
    In Zotero Standalone, open about:config (Preferences->Advanced->about:config), set intl.locale.matchOS to false, and set general.useragent.locale to en-GB and see if it makes things look like you want them to. If this is the issue, it's a bug we inherit from Mozilla and it's probably not going to be an easy fix.
    All of the other descriptions are incomplete. Adjust 'en-GB' as necessary.

I'm going to close this absurd thread, since people shouldn't need to suffer through Steven Laycock's ramblings. (No fault of yours, Julia.) If there's any change in the underlying Mozilla behavior, we'll post an update.
This discussion has been closed.