Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Hi!
when I click any of the Zotero buttons in any Word document, I get the error "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ". Zotero was working fine until a few weeks ago, but then started to do this.
The Windows integration add-on is updated.

The report ID is 1388750137, and the complete information on the error is:
[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getDocument]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 239}]

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am working in a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 (wow, now I think about it, could the new Windows version be the problem? ), Firefox v 25.0.1 and Zotero Standalone 4.0.16

Thanks
  • Probably Simon will have to look at this, but two things to try are

1. Temporarily try disabling any security software - ideally including Window's own. Obviously this is only for troubleshooting and you should immediately enable it again after testing.

2. Make sure that you're running Word and Zotero on the same account.
  • Hi Adam, thanks for your answer. I tried disabling my security software, but the same error appeared.

I am not sure what you mean with running Word and Zotero on the same account. I didn't know Word was associated to an account at all. Do you know where I can check that?
    Thanks!
  • don't know Windows 8 particularly well, but I think you can still get to the task manager using ctrl+alt+delete - the list of processes there has an a column for owner. Zotero and Word should have the same one (your standard user account).
  • Ohh, I see. Yes, both have the same owner :/
  • Hi! Any news on this error? My work is currently halted until I figure this out...
  • Hi again. Any news? Should I re-post the question?
  • All instances of this that I'm aware of have been system configuration issues, which limits our ability to troubleshoot. If you're sure both Word and Zotero are running as the same user, make sure that neither is set to run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
  • Hi!
    I checked what you said, and none of them were in Windows XP compatibility mode. Just to see if it was a problem of Windows 8.1, I tried to run them in Windows 8 compatibility mode, which didn't work either. Yet, when I brought everything back to normal (i.e., no compatibilities), Zotero started to work again! (????)
    No idea what happened, but thanks for making me look in that area.
    :)