Place/Country

Hi,

this might be a really easy one but I didn't find an answer around.

Zotero has one field called "Place" and I usually (and it automatically) put the city of the publisher there.

Problem is, I'm using APA6th style and it needs the country name as well (for example London, United Kingdom: Rouxxxx, or New York, NY...)

How do you usually do this? Do you put everything in the "place" field or is there some other way?

thanks
  • Yes, put city and country in the same field: Enter the place field as "Place, Country". This will result in correct APA style citations.
  • thanks. Will not this create problem for other styles that don't require country? Wouldn't it be better to have two separate fields for this?

Just sayin' since I don't really use other styles, might be a pain to have to remove all countries just in case!

cheers
  • The easiest option in that case would be to just delete the countries in the final bibliography. There are always some niche cases where Zotero will not work perfectly. But, as you say, you really do not use any other styles, so this concern is rather theoretical.

New fields are sometimes added, but this is not done lightly because it requires a large number of code changes. (Think about updating 332 translators to create two fields instead of one field for place)
  • I see, thanks!
  • edited November 10, 2013
    In MLZ, we can use the Abbreviation Filter to refactor the field content for specific styles. In that case, putting the city and country into the field would still be the way to go, since removing information is easy and has predictable results.

(The Abbreviation Filter is not relevant to official Zotero at present, but I thought I'd mention it as a way of handling this issue without impacting styles directly.)