Firefox Mac compatibility (MLZ)

Does anyone know what the latest version of Firefox for Mac with which MLZ is compatible is? I'm getting the "zotero undefined" error when I try to run MLZ. Restarting computer didn't fix it, neither did reinstalling the plugin. Running Firefox 12 I think.

Edit: one other thing; does the "jurisdiction" field sync to Zotero, so that I can have multiple MLZ Zotero installs that sync properly? Or is it only possible to have one local MLZ database with all of the fields?

Sidenote: are PaperShip and ZotPad the only iPad apps that can sync with Zotero for mobile browsing? ZotPad is horrifically ugly and PaperShip doesn't support legal cases properly...
  • You probably need at least 17 ESR, ideally you'd use the most recent version of Firefox, which is 24.

Apart from ZotPad and PaperShip there is also Zotero's mobile webage. Depending on what you need to do it's sufficient.
  • Jack,

As adamsmith says, you should use a recent version of Firefox. The Jurisdiction field will sync, along with other fields added in MLZ.

The apps will display the additional fields in the same way as the Zotero online view, as encoded content in the Note field. It's not pretty, but it's a necessary workaround to get MLZ content to sync to the Zotero servers.
  • edited October 12, 2013
    Hi Frank.

Thanks for the reply - I did some experimentation and noticed this. I did also see the Extra field. Not pretty, but does what I want perfectly so I'm definitely not complaining.

I didn't realise my Firefox was actually that old (I thought it was too new!)

I've made the transition from EndNote, to some other software, finally to Zotero. It's been pretty painful, but (apart from the lack of a solid iPad app to browse and annotate pdfs) I'm very happy settling on MLZ. At some point hopefully I will be able to contribute back with an AGLC3 csl for MLZ. At present I'm just making modifications to the Zotero AGLC3 csl as and when I notice individual citations being in the wrong format.

Bit of a shame that I think most legal academics don't know what they are missing out on. Then again, maybe they don't care that much either.

Cheers
    Jack
    Out of interest, do you use one of the iPad apps? If PaperShip, do you notice the problem with case names (no title shows up in the sidebar, nor does any other metadata, so it's impossible to tell which is which)? They just appear as a long series of 'blank' entries. The software's developer claims it is to do with Zotero's inconsistent handling of the 'title' field ('case name' instead?), but Zotero online shows both a 'case name' and 'title' for my cases...
    @fbennett:
    the same way as the Zotero online view, as encoded content in the Note field.
    you mean the Extra field, right?

@jack (and Dan) I thought the API used the same fallback categories as the client, in which case PaperShip should find it easy to get this right.
    I'm using ZotPad here, I haven't looked at PaperShip yet. I see the same thing online -- both Title (with composite content) and Case Name.

In Zotero and MLZ, "caseName" is a variant of the base field "title", but I'm pretty sure it's synced only as "caseName", and that the composite Title field we see is generated by the Zotero server, and isn't transferred during sync. If that's right, and if PaperShip is using the native Zotero protocol to sync the app (which I guess it must do), they would indeed have to account for the caseName -> title mapping in the app itself.

The PaperShip devs probably know the ins and outs of the issue very well, but just in case, the mappings in the Zotero source code are here. It looks like the titles of statutes and the subject titles of email message items will be similarly affected.
  • you mean the Extra field, right?
    Yes, that's what I meant to say. (I sometimes get mixed up between between the display names and the field names underneath.)
  • The problem I have with ZotPad is the errant commas that appear everywhere in the location (citation) metadata for cases :/
  • The display cites are generated by a small formatter built into ZotPad. The developer is responsive, if you contact him through the help system, it's very possible he'll make the adjustments needed to tidy up the view.
  • We sent a new version of PaperShip to Apple last week, which should fix the Email/Statute/Case issue with titles.