Error after adding dissertation from ProQuest

Error id:

I am trying to add a dissertation from ProQuest. It seems the PDF download fails. I get this error. When I restart Firefox, it cannot find the PDF.
  • do you have the permalink for the item?
  • http://search.proquest.com/pagepdf/302906779/Record/140EFCC19916C5F284/1

The error seems intermittent; it worked one time, failed the next.
  • edited October 5, 2013
    When you say you get an error, do you mean that a message pops up saying that something unexpected happened? Or do you just get an X next to the PDF when it's downloading?

I think ProQuest sometimes requests that a captcha is entered before a PDF can be downloaded. There's not much we can do about this. If PDF downloads start to fail, try accessing the PDF manually and entering the captcha. The PDF downloads should then probably resume as before.
  • Zotero displays an error in the item list, telling me to restart Zotero.

I'm trying to recreate the error.
  • New error report id: 2093943625

I think these are the relevant errors:

[JavaScript Error: "File not found in Zotero.Attachments.getTotalFileSize()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 466}]

[JavaScript Error: "Parameter 0 is undefined in Zotero.DB.getStatement() [QUERY: UPDATE itemAttachments SET storageModTime=? WHERE itemID=?]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 324}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Parameter 0 is undefined in Zotero.DB.getStatement() [QUERY: UPDATE itemAttachments SET storageModTime=? WHERE itemID=?]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 579}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Parameter 0 is undefined in Zotero.DB.getStatement() [QUERY: UPDATE itemAttachments SET storageModTime=? WHERE itemID=?]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 579}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Transaction in progress in Zotero.Sync.Server._checkSyncUser" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 645}]

[JavaScript Error: "File not found in Zotero.Attachments.getTotalFileSize()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 466}]

[JavaScript Error: "Invalid mod date 'undefined' for item 0_4R3VE6HU" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/webdav.js" line: 110}]
  • Those look like sync errors. If you click on the sync arrow (green circular arrow at the top right corner of Zotero), do you get an error message? Is there a red exclamation mark next to the error?
  • If so, provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error. It may help to first temporarily disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences and then restart Firefox, in order to clear the error log.
  • Thanks Dan, Aurimas.

I'm using my own webdav server for syncing, I suppose that could screw things up.
  • egh
    edited October 5, 2013
    Hi Dan,

I provided 2 debug IDs, above.

Here is some more junk from the debug log around the error. I hope it helps.

[output removed — D.S.]
  • You provided Report IDs, not Debug IDs. I need the latter.
  • Oh, sorry. Will do.

(As an aside, the difference between a report ID and a debug ID is pretty confusing. I'm sure you know this, though. :)
  • Dan (and the rest of us) always links to the respective instructions when requesting either of them.
  • Sebastian,

I know, he did, and I made a mistake. I was chagrined. :)

To be totally honest, though, and I know how hard these things are from both sides: it's pretty confusing. I thought at first that I had to do something new, but after glancing at the instructions for submitting a debug id, I got confused and thought I had done that.

I know it's not worth fixing, but it is confusing.

Anyhow, here's my debug id: D113617960 32k lines of debug output before I could trigger the error. Sorry.

Thanks for all your help with this issue!

If it does turn out to be a problem with syncing, and file storage is an issue, I am running my own webdav server (using owncloud), so I can access the logs for that if it is necessary.
  • edited October 6, 2013
    I don't really see an alternative, though:
    Error reports are easier to submit and can be helpful even when we don't know the specific action that causes a problem.
    Debug IDs are a little more involved, but provide significantly more info, especially when we can tell people for what exactly to create them.

I don't see how we can fold them into one (though when you know what you're doing, you can always go with a debug ID, which has the full error report at the top.)

edit: point of this being: if you have a suggestion to make this less confusing, I'm pretty sure devs would like to hear. The error IDs at the top of the debug is something that IIRC Dan implemented on the suggestion of Avram and/or me.
  • Good point. I just added a little text to the beginning of the debug ID info that Dan pointed to, parapharsing your remark. Hopefully this will prevent people from making the same mistake I did.

Thanks!
  • Does this go away if you disable auto-sync? I'd guess that it would. The error in the center pane is occurring, I believe, because Zotero is trying to sync a file that hasn't fully downloaded. So it's not necessarily that the file isn't downloading, but rather that it's failing before the file can be fully downloaded and recorded. I'll look into fixing that.

Out of curiosity, are you on a slow Internet connection?
  • Yes, it does go away if I disable auto-sync. I should have mentioned that - I turned it off earlier after you suggested that disabling autosync would help isolate the error, but with autosync off I couldn't replicate it.

No, I'm not on a slow internet connection.

Thanks!
  • OK, I put in an imperfect but possibly sufficient fix in the latest 4.0 Branch dev XPI. If you want, you can install that and see if you can still reproduce the problem.
  • Thanks, Dan! I will see if I can replicate the problem with that version.