Small suggestion: Note previews on Note tab

Hi,

Just a minor suggestion here to speed up previewing of a large number of notes.

Most of my documents have only a single note. There is currently no easy way to quickly preview these notes. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. On the "notes" tab, add a preview section. Better yet, combine the current note tab with the note detail screen (that you get when clicking on a note). Currently, this tab is quite bare, since I imagine most entries don't have 50 notes attached. Instead, this tab could become a two-task tab: On the top is a list of notes as it is currently (which perhaps views 5 notes at a time, and scrolls with more); Below this is the current Note Detail page where you enter notes.

With this change, you can just click through entries and preview notes with a single click (since the note tab stays open).

The other way to get to the note details panel (where you can preview or edit notes) is to click on a note directly from the middle pane. However, I can't do this without clicking the (+) symbol to reveal notes. If there were something like an "expand all" tree button that would reveal all attachments for all entries in the current view, then I could preview notes with a single-click.

Just a minor suggestion, that would be very easily to implement, and I think improve the user experience for reviewing large numbers of notes quickly.
  • This sounds like a good idea and not too hard to implement.
  • edited September 19, 2013
    What about Zotero in Firefox, which tends to be quite short? I suppose the suggestion would be to collapse the preview when the window is not high enough.
    The other way to get to the note details panel (where you can preview or edit notes) is to click on a note directly from the middle pane. However, I can't do this without clicking the (+) symbol to reveal notes. If there were something like an "expand all" tree button that would reveal all attachments for all entries in the current view, then I could preview notes with a single-click.
    Try pressing the + button on your keyboard. (- does the reverse)
  • However, I can't do this without clicking the (+) symbol to reveal notes. If there were something like an "expand all" tree button that would reveal all attachments for all entries in the current view, then I could preview notes with a single-click.
    Pressing the + key on your keyboard (while the middle panel is active) actually does this.

I generally like the idea of consolidating the note tab. There are some people with many notes per item, so the scrolling would need to work well - I fell scrolling within a window is always a bit awkward.
  • The +/- key thing works well -- where do you find shortcut keys like this?