Zotero Error in Word 2007 when inserting citation from classic dialogue box

I have read through the previous posts about this issue and I have tried every method of resolving the issue except completely reinstalling everything, which I am loathe to do in the middle of this project. I'll try to be as specific as possible. I am working on a thesis, so it is utterly crucial that I get this to work quickly.

Operating System: Windows 7 (32-bit) v. 6.1.7601 Pack 1 Build 7601
Browser: Firefox 23.0.1
Microsoft Office Word 2007 12.0.6668.5000 SP3 MSO (12.0.6662.5000)
Zotero Standalone v. 4.0.11
Zotero Extension for Firefox v. 4.0.12
Zotero Word for Windows Integration v. 3.1.13

When I use the classic style dialogue box to insert a footnote citation into a Word document using Turabian 7th Edition (Ive also tried using Chicago full-note) I consistently receive the following error:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
The range cannot be deleted.

Before the error message box is dismissed, the document shows a superscripted footnote number in place in the text. The same superscripted number shows in the footnote area with "{Citation}" next to it. After I dismiss the dialogue box the superscripted numbers disappear. The entire text of the citation now turns up at the end of the cited text and the n. I have screenshots of this if it is possible to send them to someone.

I have tried using only Zotero Standalone with Firefox closed. I have tried using only the Firefox extension with the standalone closed. The new add citation dialogue works fine, but I find it awkward.

I've also found issues with editing and updating citations, but I'm hoping they disappear when this issue is resolved.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am in a crunch here. I love Zotero, and with over 250 sources, I'm not thrilled with the idea of changing citation software or using the tedious MS Word options.
  • In addition I've created a report: 1368558652

Direct3D 9 DeviceManager Initialized Successfully.
    Driver: nvd3dum.dll
    Description: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
    Version: 9.18.13.783

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._editor is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml" line: 193}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._editor is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml" line: 193}]

[JavaScript Error: "The range cannot be deleted." {file: ".\zoteroWinWordField.cpp" line: 0}]
  • It's never quite clear what people mean by "every method", so - have you run through this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    If not, that's what I'd recommend.
  • oh, also - the only other report I've seen of this that wasn't in the Word 2013 preview is also using the classic view - so if you'd consider switching to the new quick format this would almost definitely go away.
  • Sorry, that was rather vague, but I have run through every method listed in the previous posts on the problem. I have the problem in both new documents and existing ones, so the debugging methods listed in the debugging section don't apply, but I tried the ones I could to no avail. When I changed to another style as suggested in #5, I received the same range cannot be deleted error and all of the previous citations moved into the text and the footnotes are gone.
  • can you confirm that this works with the quick format bar (i.e. without the classic view), though?
  • Yes, it works with the quick format. However, the same error occurs when I update as well. This time I had a new document, with only one footnote inserted with the quick format bar. Ultimately it moves the citation inline with my text (as mentioned above), with the change included.
  • I'm not sure what you're saying there. What does "ultimately" mean? Are you saying you can reproduce this error in a new document only using the quick format bar?
  • And interestingly, if I edit the citation, it makes the change without a problem, but in a 100+ page doc, that's really not an option either.
  • Sorry, that got cut off in my earlier post, but the same thing happens. After I dismiss the error dialogue box the superscripted number in the footnote area disappears. The entire text of the citation now turns up at the end of the cited text with the change I made in Zotero.
  • The update error still occurs in a new document after inserting a citation using the quick format bar, changing it in Zotero, and then updating.
  • OK, Simon will have to take a look at that - not sure what type of info he'll need.
    Out of curiosity - what types of changes are you making in Zotero?
    This: "TypeError: this._editor is undefined" also seems odd to me, almost seems like you have an editor defined for an item type that isn't supposed to have one.
  • The first time I tried an update it was because I had unchecked the Include URL box when choosing the citation style. When that failed I realized that I shouldn't have chosen such a complicated task, i.e. the update having to include more than one changed citation, so I made a spelling change to only one entry with the same result. The item types was an article.