Zotero Standalone 4.0.9 -> 4.0.11 update failing & looping

I’m using Zotero Standalone 4.0.9 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

In the background it downloads the 4.0.11 update, asks if I’d like to apply this upon which it fails to apply... then downloads the 4.0.11 update again (and if I apply this that fails, etc.)

The only thing I can think of off-hand that might contribute is that I use Zotfile, installed in Zotero Standalone, but I’d rather hear from others before trying to temporarily turn this off or uninstall (whatever is the case).

A loose thought: There appears to be no way to opt of update downloads, e.g. as a temporary measure until an issue is sorted. A user can't say "no" to an update, only "OK", and there appears to be no Preference to hold off downloading updates.

A quick search of the forum hasn't revealed an thread on this (yet!).
  • (there is a hidden pref. http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences to set update preferences - I'd have to check for the exact name, it's something with update in it).
    I'm not aware of this as an issue, but if all else fails, you can simply re-install Zotero to upgrade. It will leave your data right in place. Zotfile is not the culprit here, lots of people using that.
  • edited September 6, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. Lots of people are using both Zotero & Zotfile of course! - I’m curious as to what the issue is if anyone happens to know. I can certainly install it manually as you say - I should have said that I intended to do that if nothing else seemed appropriate. I just prefer to know what's up if possible.
  • There's a bug in the auto-updater in 4.0.9 that will make this happen unless Zotero is in /Applications. The auto-updater in 4.0.11 is fixed, but there's nothing we can do to make this case work for the 4.0.9 -> 4.0.11 update. You should either move Zotero to /Applications and let the updater run again or install Zotero 4.0.11 manually.
  • Simon

Ah, that would explain it - thanks. I’ll update manually and see how it goes. Good to know what the story is.
  • Looks good (well, so far!)

Thanks for the quick replies.

Now to test this new drag'n'drop link-making feature…