bibtex booktitle field not exported correctly

I imported bibtex citing a portion of a book into zotero. When I exported it, the booktitle field was replaced by a journal field.

There is a difference between a journal and a book! I am concerned that this may be incompatible with other bibtex tools that I need to use.
  • edited August 6, 2008
    See also http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2107/bibtex-book-chapter-title/

You are not the first to post this one. I'm sure however it would be a simple fix... Looking at my scrapers.sql there already seems to be a fix.
  • This is now fixed on the 1.0 dev branch. The BibTeX translator is only available via Reset Translators and Styles (in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs) in 1.0.x, however, so you'd have to upgrade to the latest 1.0 dev build or wait for 1.0.8 and then reset your translators to get the fix. (This process only applies to the BibTeX translator and only in 1.0.x.)
  • The purported fix of going to the preferences pane and clicking "Reset Translators and Styles" didn't do anything at all.

I'm at a loss since other people said this works for them. I'm on Firefox 2.0.0.12. Does that matter?
  • The purported fix of going to the preferences pane and clicking "Reset Translators and Styles" didn't do anything at all.
    You'd only get the latest version using Reset Translators if you're using a 1.0 dev build.
  • Yeah, I only installed it last week. It's 1.0.7.
  • 1.0.7 is an official release. "1.0 dev build" means a development XPI.
  • @Dan: Thanks for the hint with the development XPI . I installed it (1.0.7r3270), reset the translators and tested with my library. The export to bibtex works much better now! But now testing in a more systematic way I noticed some other inconsistencies:
    • In manuscript (@unpublished) the required field "note" is not exported.

• techreport does not export the optional field "type".

• thesis does not export the optional field "address", there is even no entry "Place" in zoteros right pane.

• thesis will export as phdthesis, the type masterthesis is missing.

• Some other types are missing as well: booklet, manual, proceedings and inbook

• The misc types do not have the optional field "howpublished".

• All month field do not have curly brackets or quotes. I'm not sure if this really is really a problem.

• Even it is not bibtex standard, newspaper and presentation should have maybe – in addition to year and month – a day field as well. For broadcasts and similar types even time would be valuable. But this is more a feature request than a report of a problem.
    I had problems with the new option "Character Encodings" in the preference window. Even if I choose utf-8 or ISO-8859-1 the German umlaute are still converted with \"{o} for instance, but in contrast with the old ascii conversion I had this time problems to import the exported file into another program - a program which worked with the old zotero export version. It did not recognize the special characters and importend them as is. But maybe I did something wrong or the localization is no finished yet. (FF crashed under the German version, I had to change to the English interface. Thank you for mentioning this possible problem in one of your postings.)

I hope this report is of some help for you.