Drag Links to Files!!

Hello everyone,

probably this was requested already - but it still havn't been implemented, so I will make another call for it:
I (respectl. my team) are not in any way interested that our pdfs are stored in a central Zotero-Folder, we maintain our own folder-structure. So we have to make links to the pdfs. But this is much to time consuming when there is no possbility to drag+drop the links. We would like to see this for the personal + group libraries!

The categories and tagging-features are wonderfull and fast to use, but because of the missing of dragging links we can't use zotero! (But we would love to...)
Maybe there is any faster work-around?

(Sorry for any bad english spelling;)
MBurgen
Technical University of Cottbus
  • Wow, no one else?
    Or did I oversee any feature?

Greetings
  • We would like to see this for the personal + group libraries!
    This has been requested many times, but linked files are not and will not be synced, so this would not be supported for group libraries, and the files wouldn't sync for personal libraries either. Still interested?

Or would a better, possibly more customizable folder structure within the Zotero storage folder be sufficient?
  • Thanks for the answer!

Yes, still interested :)

I havn't been engaged in the sync option yet - but the way we work is: We do have a central server at the university where we store our research files and literature. Everyone has connection to the server via network drive (I think most research groups do this?).

I make my own backup of this files (e.g. when working at some places with no connection to the server). All my other (private) computers do have the same file/harddisc structure to avoid missing links for other software as well. So don't know when or where syncing may be needed?

But in this kind of working structure I feel an easy etablishing of a link to a file is needed. When syncing (or copying) the zotero database the links can be synced as they are - no problem (or do I miss something maybe?).

custom Folder structure in zotero:
    Yes, may be another idea.

Syncing:
    I think this is a mayor problem still (I also know from other research groups who think about using some citation tool) that some people don't want their research data to be stored on some foreign server somewhere in the web2.0.
    Also many still need their own folder structure (as said before), so custom structure in zotero may be a way to a compromise.

Do you have some links to the advantages of syncing?
    Guess we have to discuss this in my workin group again...

Greetings
    Molingo/MBurgen
  • edited September 30, 2009
    I have the same problem, I prefer to link the files as I want to keep the pdfs organized by myself in my hard drive tree structure. So when I have to import a file I darg in Zotero: I have to (1) retrieve the metadata info, (2) browse my folders to find the pdf, (3) create a link and finally (4) remove the copied PDF. So a feature allowing to create a link (by pressing some key while dragging) would be much appreciated.
  • Fuyas: i'm doing exactly the same thing. i have my attachments stored in a logical strucutre wihthin the zotero folder, and have to go through the same process as you to link to these files. In my case this is so i can easily copy files to my PDA to browse/read later.
    I'm seconding the request for a feature allowing linking while dragging.
  • I too would like to request this feature. I have a pretty well established and intuitive file tree structure for all of my notes and pdfs, and would like to preserve their locations. Creating links to these files is time consuming as it stands, and having an option that would allow one to create a link through drag and drop, rather than the default copy option, would be much appreciated.

Dan, I back up locally, so that will not be a problem.

Thanks!
  • Related issue:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2142/possible-to-import-pdfs-as-links-not-copies/
  • Seems to me creating links by drag and drop would come in handy for many users. There has been talk of this before in other threads. One way to implement it would be a preference (hidden pref perhaps if you don't want the interface cluttered) for Zotero to add dropped PDFs from the file system either as files or as links.
  • @ Dan Stillman

> Still interested?

yes, interested. And no, I don't care about syncing.

> Or would a better, possibly more customizable folder structure within the Zotero storage folder be sufficient?

no. Please don't touch the physical location of my files. I've spent a long time sorting and arranging those long before Zotero was around and I like it that way.
  • edited September 17, 2013
    Creating links via ctrl+shift+drag (cmd+opt on Mac) was added in Zotero 4.0.10
    http://www.zotero.org/support/4.0_changelog#changes_in_4010_august_8_2013

Edited to avoid confusion. Had the wrong Mac shortcut
  • @adamsmith

that is great thank you for the tip. Now I still wonder how do I get links for all attachments when importing a .bib file?
  • nothing has changed on import since the last messages on the other threads you posted to.
  • edited September 17, 2013
    Hi, Does the cmd+ shift drag work for you guys? There seems to be no difference for me; the entire pdf is still being imported instead of attaching a link.
    Thanks!
  • ctrl+shift drag works on linux
  • edited September 18, 2013
    Cmd+option (⌘+⌥)+drag works beautifully on OSX (10.8.5).