How to create Zotero RIS file from a document's bibliography

I have an ODT document in which a Zotero bibliography was inserted. Now, I need to create a RIS file that will contain all the references from my document. I have not set up any tags or folders in Zotero previously: therefore I need to work from the bibliography in the ODT file in order to retrieve the relevant references (those I want to be included in the RIS file). There are hundreds of references in the ODT file, so working manually in Zotero itself, i.e. creating a sub-folder and copying-pasting the references (those listed in the ODT file) is out of the question.

How can I work from the ODT file's bibliography itself in order to create a RIS file that can be later imported or exported?
  • edited June 8, 2013
    Here is one option that I have tried:

- Make a backup copy of my ODT file.

- On Zotero style repository <http://www.zotero.org/styles/>, install the BibTex generic style <http://www.zotero.org/styles/bibtex>;

- Open the ODT file in LibreOffice. Position the mouse cursor at the end of the file.

- In the Zotero plugin menu, click "Set Document preferences"

- Choose BibTex generic citationn style.

- In LibreOffice, in the Zotero plugin menu, select "Insert bibliography".

- Now, copy the whole bibliography (in the clipboard): select the bibliography and CTRL-C.

- Open Zotero in Firefox (or Standalone).

- In Zotero, create a sub-folder (new collection), e.g. "My ODT"

- In Zotero, click on the sub-folder just created, "My ODT", and click File>Import from clipboard.

- The sub-folder (collection) "My ODT" now contains a Zotero bibliography of all the references that are contained in the original ODT document.

- Some manual editing right in Zotero may be necessary to fix some odd values.

Done!

Success!
  • I'd be very interested in a possibly easier solution to this problem (having used endnote previously where citations entered into a document are automatically collected in a separate "group"/collection)
  • [virtual document collections are planned (no ETA)]
  • Thanks again, Gracile - I'm standing in line waiting ...
  • I need to say that the solution I have given above is not perfect at all, because it actually reimports references that were already present in the bibliography. Thus, it results in duplicates for all references that I wanted to collect. In the end, this is not great: I had to merge all duplicates, and there were hundreds to deal with!

CH 53's point above is important: automatic gathering of references cited in a document would be a solution (exactly as EndNote does). But I would bet that Zotero developers could come up with a better idea!

Gracile, could you explain further what you mean by [virtual document collections are planned (no ETA)]?
  • If necessay, the title of this post could be changed to "automatic group collection" or something similar, to better convey the idea/problem that we are talking about (if not addressed somewhere else)...
  • edited August 15, 2013
    @fusherbrooke : if you're francoisthibeault, you can edit the title of the topic.
    could you explain further what you mean by [virtual document collections are planned (no ETA)]?
    "Virtual document collection" or "document as collection" is a planned feature. It will consist of an automatically created collection with all items cited in a document. No ETA means no estimated time of arrival, i.e. this is planned but nobody, as far as I know, works on this feature.

FYI, Simon's message announcing the feature:
    We have longer-term plans to make documents appear as collections in the left pane, which would provide a intuitive means to add all cited items to a collection or to make sure all items are in a group (among other things).
    Edit: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/21
  • Document as collection would really be helpful. I think it would bring Zotero many new users and because of the easily increased volume of references, many new paid users. Could you have this done by next week?
  • keenanphd40: "Done by next week" is not how mature software projects work. The development cycle is normally months, after which there is a beta testing phase of a larger chunk of functionality.

You can follow the development here

https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/21
  • edited April 21, 2014
    I have an idea in this line that may serve as a shorter-term solution. It is not totally fiddle-free, but it is intuitively straightforward, and could be implemented via a plugin.

To keep things simple, we can apply a unique tag to references cited in a document (checking before the tag is applied, and blocking with a warning popup if the requested tag already exists). The unique tag can then be used to identify cited references where they occur. Once pulled into a single collection from the various libraries in which the target references are located, they can be exported in the usual way.

This would avoid the thorny problems of naming the collection for a document, and of deciding between copying references in from group libraries versus adding an existing reference to the (newly created) target collection. It would also avoid the problem of identifying (in code) a possibly renamed document collection when updating the set of references.

In the first instance, I'll look into implementing the functionality in MLZ. The code will be pretty simple, and if it tests well, it could be cast as a plugin for use with the mainstream client.
  • edited April 26, 2014
    This is now running in MLZ, and I will be pushing it out in a fresh release shortly. The MLZ client is used by many of our students, and we have a plan to produce student-edited subject area libraries, along the lines of the Berkeley Law project discussed in another thread. We need a means of feeding libraries with materials cited in student theses, and this extension should serve that purpose.

The approach works as described above. When a "project name" has been set in a document, a corresponding special-purpose tag will be created and updated in the client whenever citations in the document are altered.

To get things working correctly, I had to make quite a few adjustments to tag handling, so it looks like this will not be a candidate for implementation as a plugin. For mainstream Zotero support, the changes (or something like them) would need to be adopted directly.

After playing with the implementation for testing, I think I may prefer this to a "document collection", as it is a little more flexible and has a little less impact on the UI overall.

Anyway, here is the code, in case there is interest in that end of it.
  • For anyone interested, I've put up a fresh release of the MLZ client with project tag support.
  • edited April 28, 2014
    This could be extended in a direction that might be interesting for collaborative projects. In our case, we have multiple students writing in the same subject area, and we want to channel their bibliographies into a set of permanent virtual libraries; but references will be collected to personal libraries in the first instance, and cited into theses and writing assignments.

If the project name is supplemented with the ID of a working library shared by the group, references into a user's personal library can be remapped into the group (creating a copy there, and rewriting the document reference to point at the group copy) before tagging the group reference with user's project name.

This would feed the collective store of references in the group library without affirmative action by each user. Duplicates can be expected accumulate in the group library, but if its curator periodically merges duplicates, user documents will continue to work normally; each researcher can just carry on with their work uninterrupted.

Pushing it one step further, if a CSL-to-Z metadata map is set up in MLZ, embedded document references inaccessible to the current user (such as a student's academic advisor) could also be pushed into the shared group registered in the document. This should largely eliminate the broken and partially broken reference issues that can be an annoyance in collaborative projects, which would be a big win.

This would be a good fit for the virtual library projects we're planning locally. I'll play around a bit with implementation; if all goes well the facility will find its way into an MLZ release sometime fairly soon.
  • I want this feature every time I collaborate with colleagues who use endnote!

I see that there's some recent activity over at https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/21. Hopefully this will bear fruit... this has been kicking around for years!

Can a non-programmer do anything to help this along?