inserting bibliography first

Hi,

1- Is it possible to enter the bibliography first and then cite as I write the document? I have already entered my nearly finished bibliography as items in My Library. Now I would like to use this completed bibliography as I write the document.

2- Some items in my bibliography will not be cited at all in the document but they still need to be in the bibliography. What is the best way to handle this?

Thanks, TS
  • 1/ If you use a Zotero plugin for your word processor (MS-Word/LO), you must add citations first. And it's the best workflow.
    While this is possible if you create your bibliography with another method (quick copy or right-click), you'll lose all the advantages of the Word/LO plugin.

You can create a collection in Zotero with all your needed items and make sure you've added them to your bibliography at the end (see below).

2/ You can edit your bibliography to add items which are not cited in the document. Click "Zotero Edit Bibliography". Then select the collection you've created and add the uncited items to your bibliography.
  • Using word 2010 and the required plugin, items entered into a text while shift/drag and drop do not appear as fields and thus cannot be used to create a bibliography - why not?
  • edited August 17, 2013
    Quick copy (drag and shift-drag) don't rely on the word plugin. It doesn't embed any code but just the formatted citation/bib. The advantage of quick copy is just that it allows you to create (quickly…) citation/bibliography in any text editor or textarea.
  • Thanks, Gracile! (That's a bit disappointing to learn, though)