Can't link to files in group

Hi I am using zotero 3.0.8, firefox add-on. I am not able to set a link from within a group library to a file/pdf stored on the computer (As i could without problems from within my personal library). Is that a problem or is it just a missing feature? I could not find anything about it, thanks for help
  • That's not supported, since links to files on a particular computer would usually not be useful to other people in the group.
  • This is a pity as this does make sense with network folders (people at work) or e.g. dropbox folders
  • Having the same problem as janger. We also would like to use zotero within a network and would like to keep the files on our server as they are partly sensitive.
  • I think we'll be able to support this once we add relative path support for linked files. (Note, though, that this will only apply to file syncing. Data syncing will still go through the Zotero servers.)
  • Hi,
    Do we know if this will happen soon? I will be really happy!
    I just found that link to file doesn't work for groups, and it's screw up my strategy to share our files. (yes, I use dropbox for many reasons and no I will not change to built-in sync).
    Furthermore, as I used Zotfile to rename pdf with my own pattern, it can't worked for groups.
    Thanks
  • edited June 5, 2013
    It's still planned, but it's unlikely to happen within the next few months (at least unless someone else contributes code).
  • What would be the desired behavior? What would be involved beyond removing the "throw" in chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/attachments.js#1399?
  • For me, just keep the link as they are in library. It will be useful for groups sharing dropbox or any shared server, as the basedir is choosen in preferences. For sure it could be a problem, for people who doesn't want this behavior...
  • Right, but the issue is that different libraries will very likely need different base directories, so we won't allow linked files in groups until that functionality is in place.