Support for NLM Journal publishing and Archiving DTD

I'd like to Zotero-enable an e-journal search system based on an XML respository of articles encoded using the NLM DTD for journal articles. Based on what I've read about exposing metadata to Zotero, the best approach seems to be either Embedded RDF based on the work of Tallis, using unAPI, or waiting for RDFa support.

If I use Embedded RDF, what schemas other than DC does Zotero handle?

If I use unAPI, it would be great if I could just point Zotero to an NLM XML file for each article. If Zotero can't handle that format, what XML formats can I send to it that it will recognize? If I wanted to create an "import filter" for the NLM XML schema, where would I start?

If I wait for RDFa, will I be waiting long?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
  • edited August 17, 2008
    I don't have a specific answer for you, but just want to note that both Talis and Zotero have contributed to the new Bibliographic Ontology. Talis is already using it in some internal projects, and I expect you'll see Zotero supporting it too (though when, I do not know). It should be easy enough to encode that as RDFa (which I've tested) or eRDF (which I've not tested).
  • darnella, if you're going the unAPI route, Zotero recognizes e.g. the MODS XML format. Some sample MODS data can be found e.g. here and here.
  • One of the nice things about embedded metadata (with, for example, RDFa) is that you can use it not only to describe the article, but also any included bibliographic references.
  • Thanks for the leads. Can I assume too that with unAPI I could also use any of the import and export formats that Zotero supports?

Zotero RDF (is this format documented somewhere?)
    RIS
    Refer
    DC RDF
    Wikipedia Citation Template
    Bibtex

If so, in the unAPI call to identify the metadata formats available for each item, what labels would I use for each of these formats?

Thanks.
  • darnella, in case of unAPI, I believe that Zotero recognizes following formats (and format labels), in this order of preference:

mods
    marc
    endnote
    ris
    bibtex
    rdf_dc

Besides the unapi.info site, the documentation of the refbase unAPI implementation might be useful for you.
  • Took a couple of hours but using unAPI and MODS I have been able to enable my e-journals search system for Zotero -- both for individual articles and search result lists. Thanks for all the help.

It seems to me that the unAPI model is similar to the way you can use AJAX calls to fill in DIVs or other elements on a web page.

Has anyone figured out a way to put a link on a web page (for example, "Add to Zotero") and then when this link is clicked make a call to a server script via AJAX to pull back data and store it in Zotero?