Export as Folder full of PDFs

I have been using Zotero for a couple of days now and it is fantastic.

One thing that would be incredibly useful (and that I can't imagine would be that difficult to add)- is another export option.

If I could click on 5 or 6 references and click "Export" and the PDFs associated with each file went to a folder, together, that would simply be amazing.

Right now if a colleague is not on Zotero, Zotero is not much help in terms of sharing...

if there is a way to do this already, I'd love to know it.

thanks.
  • edited December 21, 2009
    On OS X, you can select multiple attachments and drag them to an OS folder, and Zotero will make copies of those files in that location. (Multi-file drag doesn't currently work on Windows, but it may be possible to restore that functionality in Firefox 3.6.)
  • Multi-file drag doesn't currently work on Windows, but it may be possible to restore that functionality in Firefox 3.6.
    Any news on whether this is likely to be possible now firefox 3.6 has been released?

Alternatively are there any good workarounds? I am currently revising for my university finals and I often need to put a batch of PDFs onto a memory stick to take over to the campus computer lab for printing.
  • I'd like to bump up this question.

My physics department requires me to provide a mirror of my personal (zoter managed) pdf library, in a folders/files structure on a network drive. With specific pdf filename format: author_year_journalinitials_title.pdf

Any advice on how to zotero's export options to get this output, preferably in folders for every collection, much appreciated - although pdf export to a single folder is good enough. But the filename structure is vital for me.
  • You should check out Zotfile. It does exactly what you need with its "send to tablet" feature.
  • Actually as you were writing I accidentally bumped onto this addon looking through the forums for an answer. I just did what you said and oh boy, am I happy with the result ;) It werks!

And the file renaming 'whatever-you-like-it-we-do-this' capabilities, sweet.

It's just a little bit inconvenient to go through each collection, ctrl+a, rightclick>send to tablet to appropriate collection folder, than just to be able to do this only once and for all from a saved search (defined by - all papers before added 2011) and have PDFs arrange automatically in appropriate collection folders.. but anyways, thank you very much
  • @Gracile: Thanks for the link to the dev's thread, just posted a question there.
  • zotfile rocks - exactly the thing - trying to pull out the pdfs for 'mucking about with' (e.g. import to Atlas.TI) but this will actually send them up to my tablet without me even bothering to select them out of the zotero item - I am getting really lazy in my old age!