Archival Locations and Abbreviations

I see that you can add Archive and Location in Archive now. Is there a way to add Location of archive (without adding into the archive line), and a way to get it to abbreviate the archive name in subsequent citations?

For example, if this is the proper way to do subsequent citations from archival collections:

In citing correspondence from manuscript collections, give the full names of the writer and recipient, the date the letter was written, and the manuscript collection in which it may be found. The first time a collection is cited, its name should be given in full and its location should be indicated. Subsequent citations should abbreviate the name of the collection and omit location of the collection. For example:

9. James Madison to Thomas Jefferson, May 6, 1791, Andre De Coppet Collection, Firestone Library, Princeton University.
10. James Madison to George Washington, Feb. 18, 1788, De Coppet Collection.

In the case of large collections, you should indicate the number of the box (or designation of the file) in which the cited material may be found. For example:

12. Adlai E. Stevenson to John F. Kennedy, Jan. 12, 1961, Adlai E. Stevenson Papers, Box 310, Seeley G. Mudd Library, Princeton University.

http://libguides.princeton.edu/content.php?pid=222293&sid=1845525

So the problems are:
A) the location of the archive (if you add the box number in archival location and the location into the archive box, it would look like this):
Adlai E. Stevenson to John F. Kennedy, Jan. 12, 1961, Adlai E. Stevenson Papers, Seeley G. Mudd Library, Princeton University, Box 310.

B) I don't see a way to have it recognize that you've already used the full name and location of the collection to shorten/remove these things in subsequent citations.

Thank you!
  • After consulting CMoS site, box/folder number could come after the item title/description, rather than in the middle of the archive and the place...but zotero would still place it last...

The only work-around I can think of to the subsequent citation problem is to do the first citation within a collection manually, and then only use zotero for the shortened subsequent citations.
  • This currently can't be done. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to abbreviate the archive title (i.e. from Andre De Coppet to De Coppet).
    The other issue is that there are really four indicators for an item in an archive:
    1. The Archive (e.g. National Archive, Mudd Library, Firestone Library)
    2. The collection in the archive (e.g. the A. Stevenson papers)
    3. The location _of_ the archive - (e.g. Princeton University, Washington D.C. etc.)
    4. The location _in_ the archive - e.g. Box 310

Currently I think the best you can do is to put 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 into the same field. I.e. for the second example you have "Adlai E. Stevenson Papers, Box 310" in the Loc. in Archive" field and "Seeley G. Mudd Library, Princeton University" in the "Archive" field.

I can see if we can improve this, but it won't happen fast.
  • Adam,

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to toggle the archive line on/off with the style? For example, I have newspaper articles that I've found in archives that are clippings (so no page numbers), and I want to tie them to the archive in my citations. Is there a way to tell the style to include archive/loc. in archive whenever there is one available?

I'm using the CMoS (full note) format
  • sorry, I don't quite follow the question. Could you elaborate on the example a bit more?
  • Okay - So I've added a Newspaper Article to Zotero, and I want the footnote output to list the archive and Loc. in Archive fields.

The output I want is: Gregory Douthwaite, “Banned in Georgia: Prisons Forbid Safe Sex Lit; ‘Encourages’ Gay Sex in Inmates,” Bay Area Reporter (San Francisco, November 26, 1986), box 125, folder 14, Allan Bérubé Papers (1995-17), The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society.

But the Output I get is: Gregory Douthwaite, “Banned in Georgia: Prisons Forbid Safe Sex Lit; ‘Encourages’ Gay Sex in Inmates,” Bay Area Reporter (San Francisco, November 26, 1986).

The top one includes the archive and loc. in archive fields.

Is there a way to get the CMoS (full note) format to add the archive and loc. in archives fields when they are filled in -- or is there a way to modify the style so that it always includes the archive and loc. in archives fields?
  • yeah, that's possible. But it will be a little while until I can get to it. Also not sure if we should do that generally for the CMoS style or not.
  • I've added archival info to many more item types (including newspaper articles) in all Chicago styles except author-date (which has significantly different code).
  • Did we ever figure out a way to make subsequent citations to a collection use an abbreviated form? For example, I want the first citation to read:

H. G. Merriam to Dorothy O. Johansen, May 25, 1959, H.G. Merriam Collection, Series II, Box 4, Folder 4, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana—Missoula.

And all subsequent citations to that collection to read:

H. G. Merriam to Dorothy O. Johansen, May 25, 1959, H.G. Merriam Collection, Series II, Box 4, Folder 4.

I've got these broken down so that the collection, box, and folder are in "Location in Archive," and then I have the name of the Archive and location in "Archive." Not sure if that's how supposed to be done.

I guess I could just do a find replace on the whole document once I'm done, and leave the first one as is, but it would be super awesome if there were some way for Zotero to do this automatically...

Thanks!
  • edited August 6, 2013
    Did we ever figure out a way to make subsequent citations to a collection use an abbreviated form?
    no. As I say above - I'm not sure if we'll get there. I certainly won't be very soon.
  • It's not a perfect fix, but how I'm handling this is by using the "suffix" field.

So for the above:
    H. G. Merriam to Dorothy O. Johansen, May 25, 1959, H.G. Merriam Collection, Series II, Box 4, Folder 4, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana—Missoula.

I would put the collection, box, and folder are in "Location in Archive," as you've done and leave the name of the archive blank, since you don't want it in most of the citations. Then the first time you cite you can add ", Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana—Missoula" to the suffix field. The hitch is if in revising you move that first citation so it is no longer first, but that is just something to double check when the draft is done. As I said, not perfect, but good when you are citing something several times.
  • Huh, that's a little better. At some point maybe we should put together a kind of 'Zotero basics for historians' document...
  • Zotero Basics for Historians would be wonderful!

Thanks for making this fix, Adam!
  • And, thanks for the suffix idea -- much better solution for now!
  • edited July 26, 2015
  • I have no idea what that style is -- it's not one that I have done or that's on the Zotero/CSL style repository. You must have installed a custom style from somewhere.
  • edited July 26, 2015
    Oh I bet it's the one my husband made when I was trying to solve this problem before you updated. So sorry! (And no wonder the google search brought me back to this thread!)
  • Just join www.WomenDatingCouples.com
    About me: Single and bisexual, looking to explore and meet a nice bi female or male, looking for fun and adventure.