4.0.8 can't download pdf automatically from EBSCO

Hi,

I just updated my zotero to 4.0.8. After updating, I found that zotero couldn't download pdf automatically from EBSCO. It still worked well before updating. I checked "automatically download attached pdf". I'm using zotero on Chrom. Does anyone know why this is happening? Big thanks!
  • unlikely that would be related to the Zotero update.
    EBSCO doesn't save PDFs when you use connectors (as with Chromes) and a Proxy.
  • Hi adam,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm really a dummy of zotero. Would you please tell me how can I solve this problem? Maybe you were right that this is not related to update. But it did happen right after the update. Before updating, I just downloaded two pdfs automatically from EBSCO by using Chrom.
  • post a URL as you see it for an EBSCO item. Also provide the permalink provided by EBSCO on that page. The two may or may not be the same.
  • Hi adam,

This is the URL I saw it for an EBSCO item.

http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.lib.utexas.edu/ehost/detail?sid=e16a2997-e005-4c8c-b162-a2233b74b23f%40sessionmgr114&vid=1&hid=113&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=pbh&AN=53467389

This is the permalink provided by EBSCO:

http://ezproxy.lib.utexas.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pbh&AN=53467389&site=ehost-live

It seems like they really are different. Does this matter for downloading the pdf?

Thanks
  • I'm pretty sure that would have never worked. If you were on campus when you downloaded the PDFs that would make a difference (there wouldn't be a proxy - the exzproxy.lib.utexas.edu part of the URL).
    I don't think there's anything that can be done about that at the moment. The only solutions are to either use Firefox or to use Chrome on campus or connected via VPN
  • Thanks a lot adam! I will try Firefox to see if this works.
  • Just tried Firefox, it didn't work either. Do I need to set up something on Firefox?
  • Zotero Standalone needs to be closed
  • OMG, it's working! Thank you so much adam!

Just one thing, when I closed Zotero standalone. The pdf would be automatically saved into My Library. How can I let them save to the folder I want?
  • open Zotero in Firefox (click on the "Zotero" logo at the bottom right of Firefox). You'll see the same collections as in Standalone - ZOtero will save into the selected one.
  • Bingo! Thank you so much for your generous help! You just saved me tons of time to save 2000 articles manually!
  • Interesting, I encountered this problem after an upgrade to 4.0.9, and using Zotero in Firefox on campus does not solve it. Furthermore, before 4.0.9 Chrome worked well with Zotero Standalone to bring in PDF files from EBSCO. Am I the only one having this problem?
  • No, that was broken more generally, but due to an EBSCO site change, nothing to do with the Zotero update (these things rarely do).

A translator fix is now up. Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting
  • I wondered about that. Glad to hear it was an easy fix, and thanks for working on it. I updated in Firefox brings those PDFs in just fine.