Firefox update led to Zotero disappearance

I'm using a portable version of Zotero on a USB key, and last week I created a back-up of my Zotero library (or at least I thought I did) by copying the SQLITE file to a desktop PC computer. This afternoon, my portable version of Firefox prompted me to update to v.2.0.0.16, which I did, and when Firefox restarted Zotero was gone. I tried re-installing and then importing my back-up Zotero library by following Preferences-->Advanced, then “custom” and finally selecting the file where I had stored the back-up. It didn’t seem to work and I’m terrified that I’ve lost the whole library because of the update. I’ve read a couple of similar threads in the forum which lead me to think that my back-up, which shows as 1.39 MB, is empty, so I must have somehow done that wrong. I really hope there’s a way to undo whatever the Firefox update did, and rescue that library. Any and all help will be welcome!
  • edited August 12, 2008
    The Firefox update likely did nothing more than reset your custom data directory location (and, from your description, perhaps your installed extensions as well). We haven't been able to reproduce this, but it seems like some bug in Firefox may be wiping out user preferences during upgrades for a few users.

Do you still see the rest of your Firefox data, such as bookmarks and history? If not, you may have somehow switched to a new Firefox profile.

If you reset the data directory location to wherever it was set before and restart Firefox, you should see all your data. If you can't remember, look around for a zotero.sqlite file on your USB drive. I'd also recommend making a backup of any Zotero data directories you find (that is, directories containing zotero.sqlite and a 'storage' directory) before making any changes.

Also, for future reference, to back up Zotero you need to copy the entire data directory, not just the SQLite file. But, of course, you still need to copy the right one, and it sounds like you may have indeed copied an empty database.
  • Thanks, Dan. That helps a lot. I've got the library re-installed and everything seems to be working well again.
  • Hi Dan,

I am similarly afflicted as Meg. But I don't think I'm as computer savvy. Can you please clarify how to do this: If you reset the data directory location to wherever it was set before and restart Firefox, you should see all your data.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Sarah: First, do you see your other Firefox data? Bookmarks, history, cookies? If not, you may just be in a different Firefox profile.

If you do see the rest of your data, is Zotero itself gone (i.e., are you missing the icon in the status bar and the Zotero option in the Tools menu), or do you see an empty Zotero library?

If Zotero itself is gone, go to Tools->Add-ons, uninstall Zotero if it's listed, and then reinstall it from zotero.org. Any data you have saved won't be affected.
  • Hi Dan,

Thank you for your help. I am learning, slowly but surely.

And you have just stopped me from having an ulcer. Bravo! Zotero was in my tools and hey, there is my library. It's just missing from my status line and the icon near the web address that indicates the type of material is also gone.
  • 1) Are you sure the status bar itself is visible? Make sure Status Bar is checked under the View menu.

2) If it's checked, go to the General pane of the Zotero preferences (under the Actions (gear icon) menu in the Zotero toolbar) and make sure the status bar icon is set to appear.

3) If it is, try disabling all your other Firefox extensions to see if there's a conflict.

4) For the address bar icon, is it not appearing on any site? For example, an Amazon product page?