Date modified was modified

After syncing a new machine to my existing account, I find that it has 3199 records (most of which I haven't touch in ages) with a "date modified" of July 1. I see no pattern to the change, and didn't notice it until just now, so I can't generate an error report. I goofed up the settings at first, so I don't think it's a bug. I'd just like to ask how best to fix it without making things worse. The correct data are all preserved on my old machine. Thank you.
  • How about if you do a Restore from Zotero Server (from the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences) on the new machine? Do the recreated items still have the incorrect modification date? They're correct on the server.

Was that new machine actually empty when you first synced it? I don't see a recent full download from your account in the past few days, suggesting that it wasn't. It does look, however, like all of your items were updated on the server in the last couple days, suggesting, maybe, that you did a Restore to Zotero Server? Or tagged all of your items? Or made some other global change? If the new machine had a full copy of your database (copied manually, for example) but all the items on the server were marked as modified, there could be silent conflict resolution that could update some of mod times. That shouldn't happen, but it's possible. I'll look into that. I'd be pretty surprised if this happened syncing to a completely empty account, though.
  • Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help, and I'll try your suggestion in the morning.

In the meantime, several of those things are true. The new machine was empty, but I had first tried to move the library over via USB, ironically to save time: I got a lot of long file name errors, so I wiped it and started over with sync. I didn't consider whether the server would remember that. I also did a Restore to Zotero Server on my old machine before starting. (Long and pointless story, but there was an even older third machine that I used very seldom and have now stopped using entirely. Back in winter, it kept introducing ancient edits back into the database, and I wanted to wipe them out. Bad idea, I guess?)

Thinking back, the sync process seemed to hang the browser, but I'm used to that on other machines so I didn't think much of it at the time. Although the Firefox process was still running I had to open a new browser window at the end, but it seemed to have completed, so again I thought nothing of it.
  • On the bright side, things were working so perfectly for so long, I kind of forgot how this all works!
  • Update: Restore from Server (on the new PC) did not restore the proper Date Modified data. I won't try anything else before I hear from you. Just to repeat, I have a working Mac with the correct info, and a complete backup as well. You can erase my server data, if that's the easiest way. Thanks again.
  • No, the server data is definitely correct, so there's no need to erase that. (You can see that for yourself by sorting your online library by Date Modified descending.)

So all that other info makes sense, but the fact that this would happen after a Restore from Server is pretty bizarre. Could you actually go into your Zotero data directory, close Firefox/Zotero, delete zotero.sqlite, and then reopen Zotero (which should be empty) and let it sync again? (It'll just pull down data from the server that way—no need to use the reset options.) If you still get incorrect dates after that, that's certainly a bug, and I can investigate further.
  • Ok, I followed your instructions, but it has happened again, in the same fashion. I guess it's a bug, then? I started sync, and left the house for 3 hours. When I got back, Firefox was not responding: the Zotero tab was greyed out and the cursor spinning. I closed and reopened it, and although the library is now fully populated, I again have 3199 records with a date modified of 7/3 (today). I submitted an error report; here's the ID: 136345037
    Some of the records I recognize from last time. Thanks again for looking into it.
  • edited July 8, 2013
    OK, install the latest 4.0 Branch dev XPI and then do Restore from Zotero Server. I believe that should fix the problem. Let me know if not. You can then switch back to the official release, and we'll put out 4.0.9 with this fix soon.

When pulling down items from the server, Date Modified was being reset locally on all items that had related items. (The good news is that this was only on downloads, so the server timestamps would remain correct as long as Restore to Server wasn't used.)
  • I'm afraid it hasn't worked. Allowing for those records that I updated today on the other machine, the total number affected is about the same as in the previous attempts. Still no lasting harm done, for which I am grateful. I may try it a second time; I'll let you know if it turns out differently.
  • What's your current Zotero version? I'm almost certain that the latest 4.0 branch XPI fixes the problem you were seeing.
  • Currently, 4.1a1.r11246
    Previously, the latest 4.0 stable release. I haven't reverted yet; my second attempt gave the same result.
  • Yeah, you didn't install the 4.0 branch XPI. That's the trunk XPI, which you absolutely don't want to be using, and it doesn't contain the fix for this bug.
  • Ok, I'll try again, thank you. At least I haven't used it, past the reset.
  • I think that did it! The dates are all correct, and I'm back on 4.0.8; just to be clear, you're saying sync should work normally now? Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.
  • The problem exists in 4.0.8, but it shouldn't come up unless you do another reset or sync to a new computer. Other than that, any items with modified related items will have genuinely just been modified, so the bug shouldn't matter. In any case, 4.0.9 will be out soon with the fix.