Alphabetical order query

I am using LeedsMet style. The bibliography is all alphabetical except for some specific entries; BBC is under B, but BBC News is under N; AC Neilsen is under N and not A. How can I change these?
  • Sounds like some of these sources are in firstname - lastname format instead of using a single name filed. See the section "names" here

http://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library#adding_items_by_hand
  • Some parts of these names are wrongly considered as particles...
    You can change (line 2) demote-non-dropping-particle="sort-only" to demote-non-dropping-particle="never" (instructions here)
    But it might have undesired effects on names with real particles.
  • edited July 8, 2013
    @ann hindley: Could you confirm how the data is entered? If "BBC News" and "AC Neilsen" are entered as creators (Author etc) in single-field mode (as mronkko says), the sort should come out correctly. Name particles (as described by Gracile) should only be ignored for sorting on two-field names, with data in both fields.

If these values are in a creator field in single-field mode, and the sort is coming out badly, I'll take a closer look.
  • If "BBC News" and "AC Neilsen" are entered as creators (Author etc) in single-field mode (as mronkko says), the sort should come out correctly.
    I've tried and they don't.
  • I'm able to confirm the bad sort in 4.0.8.

The sort behaviour for this case has apparently been fixed in a later version of the citation processor. Things will come right in a later Zotero release, but for now you can install the processor patch plugin (it works only with Zotero for Firefox, unfortunately). You should uninstall the plugin at the next Zotero upgrade.
  • Sorry for tardy reply. Gracile was correct, it is entered as a single field. Pleased to see bad sort confirmed. I will install the processor patch later today. Many thanks for your help - again!
  • OK, have installed the processor patch and it has worked for the aforementioned queries. However, I note that Al-Khatib is still under K and has not moved to A. I guess this is an issue with the hyphen (it is in single-field). Your input is welcome again.
  • edited July 12, 2013
    See the related forum discussions by searching on "particle" without the quotes.
  • I've tested with the name "Al-Khatib" in single-field mode and two other two-field names, first in the citation processor by itself, then in a clean installation of Zotero 4.0.8, and again under 4.0.8 with the processor patch plugin installed.

For me, with the Harvard - Leeds Metropolitan University style, Al-Khatib in single-field mode sorts under A with the latest processor, under K with vanilla 4.0.8, and under A with 4.0.8 + the processor patch plugin.

In other words, the behaviour seems to be the same as for BBC News as a single-field name: incorrect under vanilla 4.0.8, and correct under 4.0.8 with the patch plugin.

Without being able to reproduce the fault at this end, I'm not sure what the problem might be. Have you tried entering a few test cites and a small bibliography in a fresh document?
  • Mmm...as I applied the patch this seems a little wierd. I have just tried a new small bibliography and reproduce the same error. I can confirm that since applying the patch: AC Neilsen appears under A, BBC News under B, but I still get Al-Khatib under K. I have also checked that I have version 4.0.8 (which I do) and have rechecked Al-Khatib is in one field. OK, if I understand correctly, I should be able to complete a manual change, but I will do this as a last action (some stage in August). Thank you for trying.
  • It's a kludge, but you may be able to force the sort order by entering the name as "Al-Khatib" (with the quotes). Failing that, editing at the last stage sounds like a sensible move.