Article Entry in Zotero: Best Practices?

I'm new to Zotero and am uncertain about the best practices concerning article entry. For example, when the following article:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=668544

is added into my Zotero Library, there are a few questionable things going on:

1) Even though the article lists First, Middle Initial, and Last for the author's names (e.g., Matthew S. Crouse) Zotero only enters First Initial, Middle Initial, and Last (e.g., M.S. Crouse). Should I get in the habit of changing these entries from the latter to the former in the interest of accuracy?

2) Even though the article has the capitalized title: "Wavelet-Based Statistical Signal Processing Using Hidden Markov Models" it's entered into Zotero as "Wavelet-based statistical signal processing using hidden Markov models". Again, should I get in the habit of changing the entry from the latter to the former in the interest of accuracy?

3) The journal from which this article comes is IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. It's entered in Zotero as "Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on". This doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help. It'll be nice to know how to do this stuff right the first time :)
  • These aren't really zotero-specific questions, but are more generally on how to process metadata provided by IEEE.

The metadata for that paper only lists author's given initials. It is a matter of your personal preference and the bibliographic styles you will use that determine whether you should supplement these with their full names.

The metadata also gives the latter capitalization for the title, which I find better anyway--only the proper name is capitalized. so citation styles will be able to retain this capitalization or switch to title case, as needed.

And, again, IEEE lists the journal with that name. I'd probably adjust it.
  • Thanks for the reply noksagt. If you could you point me to where I might find info on how to appropriately process article data in general, I'd really appreciate it.
  • What do you mean by "appropriately process"? You can modify the article details from the Zotero panel... To my way of thinking Zotero is doing the right thing with the information it is receiving from IEEE: not modifying it heuristically but just copying it to appropriate fields. I personally don't like the way IEEE gives its journal or conference proceedings titles... but as publisher the choice is theirs.