Attachments not syncing between machines

Hello,

Could you please diagnose a problem? I haven't had any issues in years, but I got a new PC (Windows) and installed Zotero today. The library synced correctly from my old Mac, but there is some kind of problem with the attachments. On either computer, I can display whatever files were attached to Zotero on that machine. But when I try to look at an attachment from the other machine, both computers give me this error message:

"The attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero."

Here is an error report from the new PC:
Report ID = 812003665

I should maybe add that I first tried to move the library over manually with a USB key to save time, but decided to use the sync tool instead due to some error messages about long file names. I erased the entire contents of the (destination) library directory before syncing it.

The attachments are all fine, as far as I can tell, and I haven't lost anything. I just can't figure out what's going wrong.

Thank you for any help!
  • Those are great instructions--really clear. Thank you. I made a mistake in the settings, and it looks like the storage folder is populating normally now.
  • I am having the same problem. I have followed the instructions in the link above and have reset the file sync history on both computers. I do not see that my files/attachments from computer A are properly showing up on the zotero.org library. Further confusion- while some folders created and populated on computer A do not show up on zotero.org, others are showing up in my group library on computer B perfectly.
  • foundationsfellow: Start a new thread and we should be able to help you.
  • edited July 9, 2013
    Actually, scratch that. It looks like you're over your storage quota. There's a bug in the current version of Zotero that causes it not to display an warning message in that case. That'll be fixed in 4.0.9, which will be out soon. You'll need to delete some files or add a storage subscription. Files in groups you don't own would continue to sync, because they'd be counted against the group owner's storage quota.
  • OH! of course. I'm probably way over my storage quota. phew, a lot of trouble-shooting, but it hadn't occurred to me. Thank you.

If I am the group owner, then I need to be the one with the increased storage capacity? The other group member is the one hosting most of the files on her computer, should she be the one to get increased capacity? Do we both need it? Would best be served to transfer group ownership to her and get the increased capacity on her account, or does it matter?
  • OH! of course. I'm probably way over my storage quota. phew, a lot of trouble-shooting, but it hadn't occurred to me.
    No, not your fault at all. It's definitely supposed to display a warning message.

It doesn't matter who has the files now. As long as the group owner has enough space, the files will all end up on the server and be synced to everyone else (or be available, if you use the "download as needed" setting). You don't both need storage plans unless you both need increased space for your personal libraries.