Science Direct Problems

firefox,3.0.1, zotero 1.5, winXP

trying to save a science direct abstract, etc.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VNP-4T0NGK3-2&_user=38557&_coverDate=09%2F30%2F2008&_alid=776290107&_rdoc=2&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_cdi=6184&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=3199&_acct=C000004358&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=38557&md5=43086ad8a2199fe78e7805379c5c24ad)

when I click the little zotero file icon in the address bar (says "save to zotero (sciencedirect)") it causes an error in zotero. A blank zotero box (red outline, bottom right corder) appears then disapears then when I try to do anything in zotero it says an error has occured.

I've tried updating the translators, I've also tried resetting the translators
I've tried disabling all other add-ons
I've tried disabling the real player plugins

meanwhile,
the 'create new item from current page' works fine, but then I have to fill in abstract, etc manually.
  • hi leevonk

I just succesfullly got an abstract from SD. I have FF 2.0.0.9 XP and Zot 1.7.

There is another discussion called "science direct problem" that might help. One thing I got stuck with is if the SD site is opened in a window embedded in an already open window - this is what happens if I am referred from my library. Going direct is OK.
  • I fixed the problem by doing the following:

I synched zotero to the server

then I uninstalled zotero via firefox

then I deleted the zotero folder from it's directory
    on you're computer it'll be something _like_ this but not exactly:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0o2bje4l.default

then I reinstalled zotero 1.5

tested out with science direct, it worked fine.

then I made sure my library was empty (deleted the science direct thing I tested with)

then I synched with the server and poof my library is back and everything's working fine
  • leevonk: Please post issues with the 1.5 Sync Preview to the Sync Preview category.

You most likely had a corrupted database (left over from using Firefox 2) or some 1.5-related problem. If something like this happens again, send in an error report via Report Errors and we'll be able to tell you exactly what the problem is. You can also check the database integrity from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs to know if you need to use the DB Repair Tool, though you shouldn't experience DB corruption going forward in Firefox 3.

Using syncing to restore to a new database should mostly work, but I wouldn't recommend it yet as a restore procedure, particularly since annotations and highlights aren't synced yet. (Glad to hear it worked for you, though.)