ACS pdf fulltext problem

Journals of ACS publication have two types of pdf fulltext, hi-res pdf(high resolution pdf) and pdf with links, see example

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja308214m

Zotero will automatically download hi-res pdf for me, but I want to get the pdf with links.I wonder if there is any solution.

Thanks
  • There is no option to pick between the two and I'm pretty sure Zotero won't introduce one, but it would be possible (in fact - quite easy) to always save the pdf with links instead of the hi-res one. What are the advantages of either? Any thoughts of what behavior would be generally preferable?
  • Thank adamsmith for your answer.

'Hi-res pdf' include all the original images(high resolution), so the pdf files are large, usually 3-4 MB to more than 10 MB. The advantage is that I could obtain the original images from the downloaded pdf files without connecting to the internet.

'pdf with links' include the low resolution images, so the pdf files are much less than the Hi-res one, usually less than 1 MB. Every image has a link to the website, where the original high solution image is available. Moreover, every reference also has a link to the fulltext website. There are two advantages:
    1) I could save my diskspace
    2) I could get the references' fulltext without searching at the webofknowledge or google. The only thing I need to do is a single click.

In fact, I don't care about downloading large files. What I really want is the links to the references' fulltext websites, as it is so convenient to get the references' fulltext without any search.
  • I'd be inclined to go with the linked "pdfplus" files then unless someone else disagrees. I'll let you know when I switches that.
  • OK.

Thank you very much.
  • done.
    Your copy of Zotero will auto-update within 24hs or you can update translators immediately by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.
    Any problems, please let us know.
  • Actually it would be nice to have the option to choose which version to download. I personally prefer to the high-resolution PDF on ACS. The low resolution PDF with links looks pretty bad, and sometimes the figures are not clear. It would be a hassle to go to download each figure in order to view the content of the figure more clearly. Also, the links provided in the reference list really do not work well. Is it possible to have the option or switch back to the high-resolution version? Or could we download two versions automatically. Then the user can simply delete the one he/she does not like. It would be simpler than saving the version on local computer and then attaching it to Zotero. At least, we should have a survey in the user community on this. Thanks!
  • I don't think there's a way to pool users in any useful way and downloading two basically identical versions by default won't fly.

We may be able to add an option to also download the hi-res version, but I'll have to look into it & it won't happen super quickly.
  • We could offer this as a hidden option, but the problem is that most people will never discover the option. It might be worth contacting ACS to see if they could add links to the high res PDF. Then everyone would win.
  • Thanks a lot, adamsmith and aurimas. I think having a hidden option would be good. There may be more people with this issue.
  • (rant: ACS should just wise up and only offer one PDF version; it's not like file storage is that limited, and every time I get across an ACS paper I get decision stress)
  • OK, here's what I'm thinking. The original reasoning to choose PDFs with links never really satisfied me. Links are a convenience, legible figures when reading a scientific paper are a must. I think we need to revert to the high-res version. We _can_ offer the other version via a hidden preference, but I can only see it being useful for people that use ACS a lot and would bother looking the hidden option up. @adamsmith, what do you think?

I'll also toss in support for supplementary attachments.
  • I don't have a strong opinion on this.
    I think disk space does matter to some degree - and the difference between the two means that you'd be able to put either ~150 or ~500 pdfs in your free Zotero file storage account (one reason I don't want to default to both).
    I'm OK switching this back if people feel like the figures aren't usable otherwise. They seemed OK to me, but I only looked at so many papers.
    We might consider wrapping this into the supplement pref - I'm not crazy about too many prefs, hidden or not.
  • Added a hidden preference to select which version of the PDF is attached. See http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences#translator_preferences
  • Hi,
    I've tried to modify this preference, but it doesn't show up in the list of the extensions.zotero.translators. I use Firefox 21.
    Thanks for your help,
    Frédérique
  • @flamerie1

about:config
  • That's what I did.
  • The ACS pdf quality hidden preference must (for the time being) be added manually. That is, you want to create a new preference in the about:config window (right-click -> New -> Integer) and type in the full name (extensions.zotero.translators.ACS.highResPDF) and set it to an appropriate value.
  • Many thanks, this way it works.
  • Any hope to get this to work for the Chrome extension with Zotero standalone?
  • Not currently. Definitely in the future.
  • Hi, I know this is a really old question. But this setting is not working for me. I am using firefox 44.0.2.
    I have already did this:
    about:config window (right-click -> New -> Integer) and type in the full name (extensions.zotero.translators.ACS.highResPDF) and set it to 1.
    I really don't want PDF w/links and have searched this setting for many many hours. Full text should be better for me.
  • Sorry man...I found the problem after checking ACS Publications.js. It just because of a typo of my setting.
  • edited July 2, 2016
    Hi all,

I found a way to get ACS HighRes PDF via Zotero Chrome extension. Procedure:

1. Install Tampermonkey from Chrome Webstore https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en

2. Create a new script in Tampermonkey. Code can be copied from here: https://github.com/biochemputer/Javascripts/blob/master/remove ACS PDFPlus.js

This user.js will remove PDF Plus from web page, so only highRes PDF will be recognized by Zotero Connector.

Enjoy

Finally I could say goodbye to Firefox.
  • Hello All, @adamsmith ,

Is it correct that this setting is still not working for the combination Zotero Standalone / Safari?

I added the setting without typos in about:config but it does not seem to result in the desired effect.

Zotero still only downloads PDFwLinks, which are useless, e.g. in papers dealing with biological imaging and such.
  • @adomasven will the recent work you did on the connectors allow them to pick up translator specific preferences such as the one listed here? If not, is that on the menu at all?
  • Hi guys, @aurimas, @adamsmith

I am not an experienced javascript developer, nor do I know all inner workings of Zotero but I found that in the translator for ACS:

https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/ACS Publications.js#L131

None of the 'Z.getHiddenPref("ACS.highResPDF")' actually return a value, rather 'Undefined' even though these properties are clearly present in about:config of Zotero Standalone.

Does this have to do with the fact that these translators are probably called from the server somehow?

There seems to be a distinction between hidden prefs directly associated with the translator and those somehow pulled from the local storage:

https://github.com/zotero/zotero/blob/master/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/translation/translate.js#L234

And finally, nothing is actually in localStorage[]:

https://github.com/zotero/zotero-connectors/blob/master/src/common/zotero.js#L236

It would be interesting to know why this is happening, I don't quite understand the relationship between the settings in about:config and the other components of Zotero... :)
  • so (from memory, but I think this is right) the connectors load up the translators into memory from Standalone, but they don't store the info for preference values anywhere. They then don't interact with Standalone while they execute the scraping code and only send the whole "package" (data and attachments) to Standalone, which is why the value for the preferences (which are in Standalone) come back as undefined. Or in other words, the translator.getHiddenPref function doesn't work in the connectors currently.
    There have been significant improvements for the next version of connectors made by Adomas, who I ping above, so I was hoping he'd know whether they handle this better.
  • Thanks for the update! I'll be sure to watch this space.

In the meantime exploring the js code has already proven quite interesting :)
  • Oh, I was not aware of this, but certainly needs to be looked into. I've created an issue to track progress.
  • This is now supported in the connectors. Find the config editor under [ext_url]/preferences/config.html. You can generally obtain the [ext_url] by navigating to the connector preferences.