Automatic abbreviations turn IEEE into Ieee

Any journal title containing "IEEE" is turned into Ieee with automatic journal abbreviations. That's not right...
My guess would be that we should keep uppercase in abbreviations, but as a minimum IEEE needs to get fixed.
  • I fixed this so that we preserve the case of all characters after the first. I'm debating whether it we should correct the case of titles that are all caps and >1 word. What do you think?
  • This will be really tough to automate. Consider
    Proc. IRCOBI Annu. Conf. (more commonly treated as a serial with an ISSN than as a conference proceeding book). The same holds true for the Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (a Sage serial).

I can provide other examples.

I think that we need authority tables that can be associated with appropriate styles.
  • I don't see how that would be a problem:
    If this is entered as Proceedings ICROBI Annual Conference, we'll leave the acronym alone.
    Sure, if we have PROCEEDINGS ICROBI ANNUAL CONFERENCE it would get this wrong, but it would be wrong either way.
    But maybe I'm missing something.

@Simon - that said, I think I'd leave this alone. If journal titles are entered in all caps that's an import problem, we shouldn't try to fix that even though the chance of breaking something is small (but surely non-zero).
  • edited June 19, 2013
    I do not know if this is a related issue, but I noticed that when I formatted my bibliography (in a Word file) with the MPMI style and the option "Automatically abbreviate journal titles" checked, I obtained journal abbreviations such as "Bmc Evol. Biol" and "Fems Microbiol. Lett.", whereas the correct abbreviations should be "BMC Evol. Biol." and "FEMS Microbiol. Lett."(as BMC and FEMS respectively are in capitals in the full journal name) - I confirmed this by looking at the formatting in published articles.

Website for these two journals:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcevolbiol
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/%28ISSN%291574-6968
  • yes, that's the same issue and covered by the fix that will be in Zotero 4.0.9