Library of Congress Translator

It seems like the switch to the new LoC catalog may be causing issues with the translator? Individual item pages found via searching are not bringing up the Zotero icon (although permalinks to items are working).

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but when a search returns many results, the icon is present, but the order of the items when clicking on the icon appears to be totally random, making it difficult to find the right item in a list of ~100.

Using Chrome and Standalone 3.0.8. Thanks!
  • Thanks for reporting,

I can only confirm your second issue, and only on Chrome (the results are sorted as displayed in Firefox).

I can have a look, but troubleshooting Chrome only issue is always harder.

For your first issue - first, please confirm that it still exists, then please provide an example search path for an item where you don't get the book icon in the URL (permalinks won't do, of course, since you say those still work) as well as the URL as you see it for the item in question (I won't be able to follow it, but I can see if anything is different in its structure from what I see).
  • Thanks so much for your reply.

So far as I can tell, the issue seems to be occurring when a search result returns a single item. Taking, for example, Caroline Walker Bynum's "Holy Feast and Holy Fast"...

A basic quick search on catalog.lov.gov for "holy feast holy fast" (http://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchArg=holy+feast+holy+fast&searchCode=GKEY%5E*&searchType=0&recCount=100&sk=en_US) returns a number of results, and when clicking on the correct one, takes me to the permalink, which works fine for Zotero.

However, if I do a more precise quick search for "bynum holy feast holy fast" (http://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchArg=bynum+holy+feast+holy+fast&searchCode=GKEY%5E*&searchType=0&recCount=100&sk=en_US), this takes me directly to a page for the book, but it is not a permalink, and Zotero doesn't seem to recognize it.

For what it's worth, I was able to reproduce the same thing is Firefox as well as Chrome.

Thanks again for looking into this!
  • Great. I have a fix for that issue under review. Until that gets accepted, you can just click on the "Full Record" tab once and the (exact same) site will reload in a way Zotero recognizes.
  • Simon or Aurimas will have to look at the display issue in Chrome - I can't tell why the item order is all jumbled.
  • OK - all of this, including list ordering, should now be fixed (thanks to Simon for the latter). Your translator will update automatically within 24hs or you can update immediately from the general tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Wow! I can't thank you enough for taking care of this so quickly. The updated translator works great. Of course, had I figured out that workaround with the 'Full Record' tab, it wouldn't have been such a big deal in the first place!

Thanks again.
  • The Library of Congress Site Translator automatically adds a permalink to any record I add to Zotero. Is there a way to turn this off? Thank you.
  • not easily, no - what's the problem with that? It doesn't take up any disk space.
  • Thanks for the very quick reply. It's just about keeping my notes uncluttered. It's not a big deal to erase the link, of course, but I just thought I'd ask if there were some simple option. Many thanks for zotero! Andrew