Think "Cntrl-A" on standalone has a bug...

Twice now I've had some search results being displayed in Zotero.

I type Cntrl-A to select the "active" members of the list.

Zotero starts spinning, but nothing seems to be happening.

After 5 minutes, I give up and shut Zotero down using the Windows XP operating system.

When I go back into the database some attachments are scrambled. The attachments have been moved from their "proper" Item to a new item X.

The item X now has 50(?) attachments when it should have just 1. So all the misplaced attachments have been moved to the single item X.

-----------------

Usually Cntrl-A works within a second.

----------------
Zotero Standalone 4.0.8
Windows XP professional service pack 3

I do have a large database. 1500 items, about 1000 with attached pdf files.

----------------

Had not synced with host so host files are still ok.
  • edited June 4, 2013
    I said Zotero was doing noting since it wasn't banging on the disk, and I had a Zotero (Not responding) message for Zotero on the title line.

-----------

I have seen the Zotero (Not responding) message when Zotero was pounding the hard drive. You can tell by hard drive lED flashing.

Good example is emptying the "Trash". Have Zotero (Not responding) from Windows XP being displayed on title line of Zotero window, but hourglass icon is there and Zotero is pounding the hard drive.
  • Moved from "General to "Troubleshooting"
  • Ok, fixed standalone.

Sync'ed with server.

Used # Children on server to spin through whole database. No other items appear to have inordinate number of children.

--------------------

I'm guessing that I crash Zotero while rebuilding indices of some sort.
  • OK, I think I know what the problem is here...

Javascript must be doing some sort of garbage collection.

* Zotero.exe has my PC pegged at 99% utilization
    * memory size for Zotero.exe keeps getting bigger and bigger

I think my problem is that my PC is too slow to get through one cycle for garbage collection before it gets interrupted and another cycle starts.

I've had this happen at all sorts of odd times.

PC

MS Windows XP Ser Pack 3
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 Ghz
    2 Gig Ram
  • Please close this. I am certain at this point that the problem had nothing to do with Cntrl-A being used to select items.