Renaming a tag doesn't also change saved Advanced Searches

Have a tag in main window. That tag is also used in an "Advanced Search." Renaming the tag in the main window does not change the tag in the Advanced Search.

Example:

Have tag "dog"

In an "Advanced Search" I used:
Tag is "dog"

I rename the tag "dog" to "cat" in the main window.

The advanced Search is still using:
Tag is "dog"
  • I'm not sure if you're referring to just an open Advanced Search window or saved searches as well, but the former isn't remotely worth worrying about and I think it's pretty reasonable for the latter not to update automatically, so I don't think we're going to bother with this.

The tag values are just strings. If they were in a drop-down (like collection names), that'd be different.
  • Dan,

Sorry I wasn't clear. The "dog" tag was in a saved search.

I do understand your point about tags stored as strings. But as a user I don't care how the computer stores stuff internally. As a user, I have a set of tags. I want to maintain consistency in my set of tags. I expect the computer to help me with that mundane task.

---

I've also been a computer programmer and a project manager for IBM with a dozen programmers under me. So I understand "working as designed" too!
  • Implicitly renaming the Dog tag in related saved searches might lead to confusion. Suppose that I have a set of "dog" tags that initially refer only to Dalmatians, and then discover that Poodles also exist. I might make the adjustment in a couple of ways:
    • Add a Dalmatian tag to all previous Dog items
    • Add a Poodle tag and a Dog tag to the newly-discovered item
    Or, alternatively:
    • Rename Dog to Dalmatian
    • Add a Poodle tag and a Dog tag to the newly discovered item
    • Add the new Dog tag to the newly-renamed Dalmatian items
    If the tag is implicitly renamed in the saved search, it will continue to work correctly in the first case, but capture only a subset of the expected results in the second case.

With current behaviour, the search will either continue to work correctly (if the new inclusive tag is also Dog, as in the above example), or deliver no results at all (if the new tag is, say, "All Dogs"). It seems to me that this is actually preferable, because the search failure is consistent, and more easily spotted.
  • What fbennett says.

I meant they're strings in the interface, not stored as strings. The fact that any text at all can be saved as a tag makes it weird in my view to change the tags in searches. (Collections, which show up as a drop-down, do change when you rename the collection.) Not going to change this.
  • Also noted that the names of Saved Searches are updated in other Saved Searches.

So I have a saved Search named "Find Dogs". I rename it to "Find Puppies". Any saved search which had used "Find Dogs" is changed to now reference "Find Puppies".