Using the Web Library

In perusing the web library, there are a couple tasks that I'm somehow not readily seeing how to complete:

(1) When I access the "My Library" web interface, I see fairly clearly how to create a bibliography entry for a given item (e.g., in the Chicago note with bibliography style).
Abegg Jr., Martin G., ed. Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts. Bellingham, Wash.: Logos Research Systems, 2003.
But, I am having difficulty seeing how to create the corresponding full or shortened footnote entry. Thus:
Martin G. Abegg Jr., ed., Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts. (Bellingham, Wash.: Logos Research Systems, 2003), 45.
Abegg, Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts, 64.
(2) When I click the button to create a bibliography entry for one of the sources in my library, there is a pre-defined list of styles from which to choose. Is there a way to enable the use of additional styles from within the web interface (e.g., the SBL Handbook of Style)?

Any suggestions anyone might have about these two points would be very welcome.

Thank you so much for your help.
  • Neither is currently possible, sorry.
  • Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Are improvements to the web interface in the works? The inability to use additional styles when citing from the web interface could be a deal-breaker for some potential users in my organization.
  • I don't think so, no. What's the use case more specifically?
    Note that it's possible to get bibliographies in all styles from the repository via simple API requests. But more generally, for serious work you'll almost certainly need a local copy of the library for the foreseeable future.

(on a side-note and since you're very much not the only one, so don't take this personally:
    The inability to use additional styles when citing from the web interface could be a deal-breaker for some potential users in my organization.
    while it seems to be a widespread believe that these types of "threats" are an effective way of getting a feature implemented, at least for me they're a major disincentive to provide more than a bare-bones answer to questions. If you're going to leave if you don't get what you want quickly, why should I or anyone else put much effort into helping you? If something is important for you or your constituents, just describe how that is the case)
  • Thanks for the quick response. The use case is "ability to use additional styles when citing from the web interface" (#2 from original post). Is there a link to help me with API requests? That may do the trick. (Sorry for the deal-breaker comment--that was actually just me thinking out loud without enough filter; I'm trying to decide what reference mtg tool will be the best fit for my organization. But thanks for the advice.)
  • the API is documented here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/server_api/v2/read_requests

E.g. citing all items from a (public) collection in a given style would be
    https://api.zotero.org/users/475425/collections/9KH9TNSJ/items?format=bib&style=harvard-university-of-gloucestershire

same idea for individual items.
    There is a plugin for Wordpress that does most of this for you, also provides CSS styling etc.
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/zotpress/
  • Is there a way individual users can set an API key to allow display of items directly from their libraries or in specific collections? (i.e., but not public group collections) The idea would be that the information would be viewable by anyone who had the link with the appropriate API key (so users would want to think about who they gave the link to).

When I try to build a URL in the form
    https://api.zotero.org/users/[API UID]/keys/[API key ID]/items
    I'm told that access is "Forbidden." API settings for the key I'm using in this sample are as follows:
    access, user
    "library": true,
    "files": true

access, groups
    "all":
    "library": true,
    "write": false
    The main use case I have is that I'd like to allow individual users to display library and collection contents formatted as footnotes according to a specific style (Chicago) and directly in their browsers. They can then copy-and-paste the information elsewhere (Google Docs) while then managing a library in Zotero on the web (many of the users I have in mind use Chrome OS).

I've gotten things to display and format properly with a public group but am having trouble when I try to apply the same principles directly to a user library or collection.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.
  • that's not how you'd authenticate via the API, see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/web_api/v3/basics#authentication
    specifically: "...As a URL query parameter, in the form key=P9NiFoyLeZu2bZNvvuQPDWsd"

Easiest way to see this at work is to create a feed from a private library using the "subscribe to feed" button on the webview of the library. After generating the key, you'll see the URL for an Atom feed API call using the private key. You can then simply modify the other parameters to fit your need.
  • Thank you. The "subscribe to feed" suggestion is most helpful. Though, I should have seen that the key wasn't being submitted properly. My apologies for that.

At the risk of asking another silly question: Is it possible to use the API to call for the footnote rather than the bibliography format to be displayed? (e.g., for the chicago-note-bibliography style) If so, how?

I thought I had managed to do so with a group library earlier, but it looks like I'm having difficulty recreating what I thought I did and may simply have been dreaming.

Thank you, again.
  • no, the current API can only do bib entries, not citations, sorry.
    Not sure if there are any plans to change this. I don't think the technical side would be terribly hard, but someone would, of course, need to do it.
  • The API can produce citations — you just need to use 'include=citation' instead of 'include=bib' (or 'content=citation' instead of 'content=bib' for Atom).
  • oh, cool. That's actually not documented, right? I didn't just overlook it?
  • Huh, I guess not. It's been available for a long time. I'll add it to the documentation.
  • Thank you gentlemen so much. This is all most helpful. So as not to reinvent the wheel needlessly, does the API already have a way of cleaning up (say) the atom display to show only the formatted footnote text?

(My apologies ahead of time if this is something else I'm missing.)
  • edited October 8, 2015
    yes, look at the example for format=bib from the docs:
    https://api.zotero.org/users/475425/collections/9KH9TNSJ/items?format=bib

edit: that may not be what you want, sorry. Wont work with format=citation
  • OK, so if I understand correctly, you'd want the same thing the API does with format=bib, but for citations.
    I don't think that exists, but I've been wrong before ;)
  • edited October 8, 2015
    Sorry, yes, this second comment sounds exactly right. I should have filled in more of the background. As I understand it, *=citation only works with format=json or format=atom, correct?

In that case, I was thinking to use format=atom in order to pair it with content=citation. The resulting raw XML file (e.g., https://api.zotero.org/users/[UID]/collections/[CID]/items/top?format=atom&sort=creator&content=citation&style=chicago-fullnote-bibliography&key=[KID]) is what I was hoping to clean up so that

(a) only the "content" elements would show and
    (b) these would show as parsed HTML (e.g., no "i" tags but italics instead).

Thus far, I've gotten an external webpage to be able to take a Zotero citation atom URL (like the one above) and apply the following CSS:

title, id, link, updated, name, uri, published, zapi\:key, zapi\:version, zapi\:itemType, zapi\:creatorSummary, zapi\:parsedDate, zapi\:numChildren {
    display:none;
    }
    content {
    display:block;
    }

This seems to achieve the necessary cleanup. But, of course, if there's a way to run this process from the Zotero side, it's still better for the users not to have to go through the steps to send off this information for processing elsewhere.

As always, thank you so much for your thoughts.
  • edited October 8, 2015
    You can use format=bib because the citation processor already generates a single HTML document. You can't do format=citation because the citations aren't output as a single document — they need some container, and that's what format=json and format=atom already provide.

(One downside to the current approach: since we're generating a citation independently for each item, numeric styles and "Ibid." (and maybe other things) don't work properly. We could theoretically generate the citations in a cluster in the order of the results, but I'm not sure that's desirable — among other things, pagination would throw them off.)