Group went read-only for me

I am no longer to add or edit items in one of the groups I am a Member of. The downward triangle of the plus-in-a-circle icon is greyed out, and when I click one of the fields in an item's Info panel, it stays as text (does not turn into a text box).

I'm using Zotero standalone 4.0.8 on Mac OS 10.7.5. After completing a full Sync, the Report Errors to Zotero window is blank between "The following errors have occured since starting Zotero:" and "Note: The error log may include messages unrelated to Zotero."

In Console.app, I see 7 copies of the following message, all dated half an hour ago. I'm not sure, but I think that's after the problem started:

5/29/13 12:33:21.583 PM mdworker: zip importer encountered an error (2) scanning "/Users/arthurp/Library/Application Support/Zotero/Profiles/ptjqtk4w.default/zotero/tmp/3Q4FG4QM.zip".

The problem started with a Zotero warning to the effect that my local changes to a group would be lost on next sync. I went ahead with that sync but am still read-only. Since then, I performed a Restore from Zotero Server, Checked for zotero Updates, and deleted my ~/Application Support/Zotero folder before re-entering my sync info. After all of these steps, this group is still read-only. However, I can write to My Library and to a different group, fine.

Meanwhile, a different group member (the Owner) can still write new entries fine.

Any thoughts? Let me know if you need usernames or group ids.
  • For reference: I have a second machine with the same Zotero setup. I've done little more than hit Sync there, and the group library is read-only there as well.
  • any chance this was - perhaps accidentally - changed by the owner?
  • I don't believe so. The group owner corresponds to a shared email account, so I just checked: the Manage Members page lists my normal account (the one that's having problems) as Role: Member.
  • and under "Library Settings"? It's possible to only allow admins to edit the library.
  • Fascinating! It must have never worked. Group and File Editing had been set, by default I believe, to "Only group admins." Would not have occurred to me that a "Private Membership" group would be restricted that way. Does the group creation process include any reminders to check group settings before using?

In any case, thank you for pointing me to the obvious. I'm all set.