Style request: Biological Reviews

Hello,

I’d like to submit my paper to Biological Reviews but I couldn't find the style for this journal. I couldn’t find the style for the other journal by the same publisher (Cambridge Philosophical Society) either nor a relevant thread in the forum. Is there any chance to create this style, please?

Here is the publisher's guide on style requirements:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/%28ISSN%291469-185X/homepage/ForAuthors.html

Here is a free pdf: http://www.columbia.edu/~mu2126/publications.html
Look for: Côrtes, M. and M. Uriarte. In press. Integrating frugivore behavior and animal movement: A review of the evidence and implication for scaling seed dispersal. Biological Reviews.

The closest style I've found is: The Journal of Biological Chemistry
The differences are:

Style I've found (The Journal of Biolgical Chemistry):
1. in the main text citations as numbers. Eg: (1,4)
2. in References
a) references are numbered
b) names of the journals are abbreviated
c) no 'dot' at the end of any reference
d) in case of two and more authors the last author’s name is preceded by “and”
e) font: author names and paper titles are in the same font
f) no ‘dot’ after the date in a bracket
g) no indent

Style I need (Biological Reviews):
1.in the main text citations as authors and dates separated by ‘;’. Eg: (Nathan, 2008; Cousens et al., 2010; García et al., 2011)
More details:
- 'et al.' should be in italics
- "(...)if more than one paper is cited for one year the letters a, b, etc follow the date. For up to three authors all names should be given in the first citation and the first name with et al. subsequently. For more than three authors et al. is to be used in all citations."
- When two or three authors (three in first citation) ‘&’ is used. Eg: (McConkey &
Chivers, 2007; Green, Ward & Griffiths, 2009).

2. in References
a) references are not numbered but organized alphabetically
b) names of the journals are in full
c) 'dot' at the end of each reference present
d) in case of two and more authors the last author’s name is preceded by “&”
e) font: author names in upper case. First letter of a surname and a given name letter are taller (say 12 pt) than the rest of the letters (say 9 pt). The same applies to the names of the editors (if applicable). I’m really sorry but I can’t find any precise info on the font type nor size. I’m happy to email the publisher if there is a need. Let me know. Title etc are lower case except of at the beginning of the sentence (typical stuff).
f) ‘dot’ should follow the date in a bracket
g) hanging indent

Books example:
Moorcroft, P. & Lewis, M. A. (2006). Mechanistic Home Range Analysis. Princeton
University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- title should be in italics
- authors font the same as in journal references
- title followed by a publisher and location

Books chapters and alike should follow this pattern:
Authors (date). Chapter title. In Book title (eds ....), pp. x-y. Publisher, location.
Examples:
Holbrook, K. M. & Loisells, B. (2007). Using toucan-generated dispersal models
to estimate seed dispersal in Amazonian Ecuador. In Seed Dispersal: Theory and its
Application in a Changing World, pp. 300–321. CAB International, Wallingford.

Jordano, P. (2000). Fruits and frugivory. In Seeds: The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities (ed M. Fenner), pp. 125–166. CAB International, Wallingford.

Jordano, P. (2007). Frugivores, seeds and genes: analysing the key elements of seed
shadows. In Frugivory and Seed Dispersal: Theory and Applications in a Changing World (eds A. J. Dennis, R. Green, E. W. Schupp and D. A. Westcott), pp. 229–251. CAB International, Wallingford.

Please, let me know if you need any additional information.
I would greatly appreciate your help in creating this style.

Cheers,
Kasia Zieminska
  • OK. Won't be quick - if you need this in the near future, you should try if you can do it yourself:
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/about/
    It typically takes me anywhere between two weeks and three months until I get to a style.
  • Thanks Adam.
    I'll have a look at the link but I suspect you'd do it a hundred times faster than me. And my thesis and manuscripts submissions deadlines are just around the corner.
    I'll need the style in 2 months. If you could do it in this period of time that would be absolutely fantastic.
    Cheers,
    Kasia
  • should be possible within a month. Post back here if you don't hear anything by then.
  • Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.
  • The style is now up. It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Any problems please let us know.
  • Fantastic! Thank you very much.
  • Hello again,

The style has been working great so far! Many thanks!

Is there any chance to correct a couple of minor things, please?
    1. In bibliography the book title is in regular font but should be in italic.
    2. Regarding in-text citation of a paper authored by three authors (e.g. Green, Smith and Lopez 2009).
    - at the moment, the first mention is e.g. Green et al., 2009 but
    - should be: Green, Smith & Lopez, 2009
    And then the consecutive citations are as usual: Green et al., 2009.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!
    Kasia
  • will do. Shouldn't take too long.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+

Any further problems please let us know.
  • Hi, I used this style but I have a problem with the citations in Word (2007): there is two spaces between the " , " and the year of publication . For example:
    (Ingvarsson, 2002)
    Is there a way to fix it?
    Thanks
  • In Biological Reviews? The style is correct--there's only one space there. You're using Zotero and this is consistently across all references?
  • Yes Adamsmith, in Biological Reviews style. I don't know why, but when copy-paste in this forum, the double-space was turn into one space. However, this problem appear or all the references and all the citations in the text. I use only Zotero (last version, like the zotero add-on for word).
    No one have the same problem?
  • edited February 23, 2016
    The Biological Reviews style currently add the name of the the second author to disambiguate when same year. However, the instructions for authors state:
    " if more than one paper is cited for one year the letters a, b, etc follow the date"

Example I currently get
    (Asplund, Johansson, et al., 2010; Asplund, Larsson, et al., 2010)
    instead of (Asplund, et al., 2010a; b)

ASPLUND, J., JOHANSSON, O., NYBAKKEN, L., PALMQVIST, K. & GAUSLAA, Y. (2010) Simulated nitrogen deposition influences lichen palatability for gastropods. Ecoscience 17, 83–89.
    ASPLUND, J., LARSSON, P., VATNE, S. & GAUSLAA, Y. (2010) Gastropod grazing shapes the vertical distribution of epiphytic lichens in forest canopies. Journal of Ecology 98, 218–225.

Also the style adds the given name two surnames have different given names. This also happens if one paper has the given name abbreviated. For instance (Asplund, J, 2009; Asplund, Johan, 2010).

In other words,
    disambiguate-add-names= and disambiguate-add-givenname= should be set to "false"
  • the instructions are ambiguous, though, aren't they? Do you have an example from a published paper wherre something like youre two citations above is rendered as 2010a and 2010b
    Same for identical last names.
    I couldn't find a paper that matches my example. However, I took a look at the endnote style that they provide and this do not include adding names to disambiguate. I will try to find examples from a paper.
  • I have e-mailed the journal and will post their answer here once I get one.
    I found an example.
    This paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/brv.12166 cites (Ostrowski et al., 2006a) and (Ostrowski et al., 2006b)

Ostrowski,S.,Mesochina,P.& Williams, J. (2006a). Physiological adjustmentsof sand gazelles (Gazella subgutturosa) to a boom or bust economy: standard fastingmetabolic rate, total evaporative water loss, and changes in the sizes of organs duringfood and water restriction. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 79, 810–819.

Ostrowski,S.,Williams,J.B.,M´esochina,P.& Sauerwein,H.(2006b).Physiological acclimation of a desert antelope, Arabian oryx (Oryx leucoryx), tolong-term food and water restriction. Journal of Comparative Physiology B: Biochemical,Systemic, and Environmental Physiology 176, 191–201.

Here's another example from an open access paper (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/brv.12164)

Eriksson, O., Friis,E.M.&Löfgren, P. (2000a). Seed size, fruit size, and dispersalsystems in angiosperms from the Early Cretaceous to the Late Tertiary. AmericanNaturalist 156, 47–58.
    Eriksson, O., Friis,E.M.,Pedersen,K.R.& Crane, P. R. (2000b). Seed sizeand dispersal systems of Early Cretaceous angiosperms from Famalic˜ao, Portugal.International Journal of Plant Sciences 161, 319–329.
  • perfect, thanks. I'll fix it asap.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • I just got a manuscript back from the editor and apparently there are some minor issues with this style.
    Current version
    (Gunnarsson, Hake, & Hultengren, 2004b)

Should be:
    (Gunnarsson, Hake & Hultengren, 2004b)

No comma before " &" and the b should be in italic
  • Also, all authors should be listen in the reference list. Also when more than 19 authors
  • Hello,

First, many thanks for this style @adamsmith it is really helpful!

I just downloaded the newest version from the style repository (using zotero standalone), and as mentionned by @tracheliaste there still is a problem of double space between author name and date with in-text citation.

I looked at the xml file (both using text editor and zotero editor) and indeed there is a double space in group delimiter=", " of citation-locator. I fixed it on my local version, but it would be great to do it for the file in the repository too.

Best,
    Florent Figon
  • edited September 18, 2017
    Hi @florent%20figon,

Check this out: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/851dacf582a04910a70c83b7fa50dca1754a1d83/biological-reviews.csl

I also adapted the et al. rules to match the guidelines and made some changes to the code to make it a bit more robust.

• Hi,
    I would like to summit my manuscript to Biological Reviews but I am having some trouble to organised my references with Zotero. On the journal guidelines says "References should be listed in alphabetical then chronological order". I have these two references from the same year and same author:

BUXTON, R.T., AGNIHOTRI, S., ROBIN, V.V., GOEL, A. & BALAKRISHNAN, R. (2018a) Acoustic indices as rapid indicators of avian diversity in different land-use types in an Indian biodiversity hotspot. Journal of Ecoacoustics 2, 1–17.

BUXTON, R.T., MCKENNA, M.F., CLAPP, M., MEYER, E., STABENAU, E., ANGELONI, L.M., CROOKS, K. & WITTEMYER, G. (2018b) Efficacy of extracting indices from large-scale acoustic recordings to monitor biodiversity. Conservation Biology 32, 1174–1184.

Zotero automatically provide the a to the article call"Acoustic indices as rapid indicators of....". However, in my manuscript I cited first the article "Efficacy of extracting indices from..." which has b in Zotero.

Does anyone know what can I do so the article that I cited first in my manuscript appears with an a instead of a b.

Many thanks!

Irene
  • I think what Zotero does is right: The first reference is alphabetically prior to the 2nd one because of its second author (A vs. M), so it follows the style's sorting requirement. The a and b get assigned by their order in the bibliography -- that's standard behavior.

It's possible to change this behavior in the style, but I don't think you should or need to.
  • @adamsmith
    Hi Adam,

thanks for creating the fabulous style! Could you please let me know if it is possible to delete a delimiter '','' before the third author and &?

for example, this is the current first-time in-text citation (Marzluff, Bowman, & Donnelly, 2001)

is it possible to modify the style and change the first-time in-text citation to (Marzluff, Bowman & Donnelly, 2001)

Could you help? Thank you.

Sihao
  • Zotero on my pc has updated the biological-reviews style automatically. This is fabulous!

Thank you all wonderful people!!!