Word plugin won't install

I'm running Firefox 19, Zotero standalone, and Windows 7. For some reason, the Word plugin 3.1.11 won't install. I've reinstalled the plugin several times, restarted Firefox, restarted the computer, and now installed Zotero standalone, but still nothing. Any ideas? I must be missing something really obvious.
  • which Word version? And by "won't install" you mean you're not seeing it or are you getting an installation error?
  • Word 2010. I'm not seeing Zotero in the "Add-ins" section of Word. Zotero says the installation was successful, but it doesn't appear that way.
  • see here: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_for_windows_or_is_incompatible
  • That didn't work, as the zotero.dot file was already in the STARTUP folder.
  • so Zotero.dot is listed in the folder that you get to following these instructions:
    "Word 2007 or Word 2010: Click the Microsoft Office Button (in Word 2010 the “File” tab replaces the Microsoft Office Button), and then click Word Options. Click Advanced. Under General, click File Locations. The Startup folder should be listed there. "
    ?
    That's odd. You should definitely see the toolbar in the add-ins flag of Word then. You're pretty sure you're looking in the right place? E.g. you've seen this on another computer with Word 2010?
  • HELP, PLEASE!! I'm having a similar (frustrating) problem after switching to a new laptop. When I open a Word doc with existing Zotero citations, I can see the Z-icons at the top of the Word pane, but when I try to refresh or edit a citation, I get the message "Item 1 in the highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero library" (although, in fact, it does!).

When I try to reinstall the Word plugin, I get the message:
    "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Firefox." I then follow those instructions, but to no avail.
  • PS to my "HELP PLEASE" post above:
    in case the info might help a Zotero troubleshooter: My new (HP) laptop uses Windows 7; I think the old one had an older Windows version.
  • if you get that first message, the plugin is installed.
    Are you sure you have synced your new computer?
  • Well, when I am in Zotero I see my whole library, and according to the Sync icon message: "Upgrading to a new computer? Zotero will automatically pull down a complete copy of your research library from our server network."
    If I'm missing something (somewhere), please give me an exact step-by-step
  • And the library populated itself, yes? You didn't do any manual export/import? When you hover over the green round sync arrow at the top right of Zotero, what does it say?

When you start a new document on the new computer, can you insert citations from your library?

Do you still have the old computer? Does inserting citations work there?
  • First, I very much appreciate your help and patience.
    As re. your questions:
    1. I'm not sure where to look for the arrow. My library seems to be living a life of its own (separate from Word). I'm currently at https://www.zotero.org/josephlookofsky/items
    2. No, I tried a new doc. and could not insert
    3. Can't try the old computer.
  • edited March 13, 2013
    That seems to be the problem then:
    you're looking at your library online. That's not the library Zotero uses to communicate with word.

You need to install Zotero - either Standalone or the FF add-on - on your computer (which it sound like you have) then open it by clicking on "Zotero" at the bottom right of Firefox (for the add-on) or by starting the program (for STandalone). I suspect you'd _not_ see your library there. That's where you need to sync. You'll see the round green arrow at the top right - clicking it should prompt you to insert username and password and then sync. Might take a little time.
  • Wonderful! And with a fast connection, it didn't even take that long.
    Actually, I had tried clicking on "download" Zotero earlier, but nothing seemed to happen, so I figured that wasn't the problem.
    Anyway, you made my day (and many days to come: I've got an important piece to finish, and I couldn't do it without trusty Zotero).
    Thanks a million.
  • edited March 14, 2013
    Reply- MaryJane
    I had the same problem with add-ins. This will help to fix.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/enable-or-disable-add-ins-in-office-programs-HA010034127.aspx

"Word option"-"Add-ins"-"Manage"

Select "Word add-ins"
    Check "Zotero.dot"
    Solved.
  • ADAM SMITH, earlier in this chain you previously advised.
    That seems to be the problem then:
    you're looking at your library online. That's not the library Zotero uses to communicate with word.

You need to install Zotero - either Standalone or the FF add-on - on your computer (which it sound like you have) then open it by clicking on "Zotero" at the bottom right of Firefox (for the add-on) or by starting the program (for STandalone). I suspect you'd _not_ see your library there. That's where you need to sync. You'll see the round green arrow at the top right - clicking it should prompt you to insert username and password and then sync. Might take a little time.