Save pdf's through Zotero

Hi,

This may well exist, so please tell me if it does.
I am using Zotero to catalogue articles (mostly from Jstore) that i want to review later. What i have been doing is downloading the pdfs, and then linking them to the Zotero page.

Is there a way to have zotero save a copy of the entire article (pdf) with the page rather than just the current webpage?

Thanks
  • Click on the Actions menu in the Zotero window (the gear icon), then select Preferences... -> General -> Miscellaneous -> Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items.
  • I think what you want is to navigate to the PDF you want to link to an existing item in your zotero library. Select the item you want to link the pdf to and go to the Attachments tab and add a snapshot of the current page. This will download and store the PDF locally and link it to the selected item.

However, I think the term "Take Snapshot of Current Page" is misleading, instead, it should read "Saved Current Page Locally". The term "snapshot" implies taking an image of the current page. In addition, the text used in the Attachment >> add drop down box should be made consistent with the term "add".

e.g. instead of:
    Add >> Save Link to Current Page
    use:
    Add >> Link to Current Page
    The user doesn't need to know how zotero handles the links, the user simply wants to attach a link to the current page, so the latter would be more consice

Likewise,
    Add >> Store Copy of File
    This seems ambiguous from the wording, how does this differ from
    Add >> Take Snapshot of Current Page
    Is the former just a way to manually save the file wherever you choose, while the latter lets zotero organise the filing of the page

I'm new to zotero, so maybe my views are through ignorance, but maybe it's an unbiased view that will help increase usability. However, I think zotero is a fantastic plugin and I'll be recommending it to all my colleagues!

Cheers,
    Nathan